Does the education discount stack ontop of the refurb discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JonMcDonald, Jan 28, 2009.

1. JonMcDonald macrumors member

So this is pretty straight forward, does the education discount stack on top of the refurb discount?

Also I'm about to purchase a MacBook for school. Trying to choose between the white and the alumi, seems wasteful to spend and extra 300$ for the alumi, however--this is key--I want to know whether or not the Alumi comes with the ability to expand more (i.e., can take more RAM, higher hard drive, perhaps even swap out the processor eventually...who knows!) than the white one does? I mean, $300.00 extra for just the case seems wasteful--is there any perks that I'm missing.

Thanks!
    Jon

2. akbc macrumors 6502

As far as I'm concerned, no.

You can always log into your school's Apple Edu store and check out refurb section, to see if the prices are different.

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Only difference between the White MB and Aluminum MB is the DDR2 in the White vs. DDR3 in the Aluminum. That means the White MB is going to be much cheaper to upgrade the RAM by a third party. The hard drives can be upgraded on both machines and they use the same drives though I know the SSD can be used on the Aluminums but I'm not sure about the White.

There will be a noticeable difference in heat as the aluminum case is better at dissipating heat. Other than that, it is mostly aesthetics.

4. JonMcDonald thread starter macrumors member

I figured it was a stretch anyways, to hope that the discounts would stack, but one can always hope right!? :D.

That's what I can't figure out, apple has done a damn good job at making me want the Alum even if it is just an Aesthetic pleasure, because it's a huge Aesthetic difference. I think in the end though, I'll need to go with the white and pocket the money. I can be a bit more wasteful when I graduate ;). Plus, maybe one-two years down the road I may also buy an iMac just to also have a desk top.

Who knows.

Thanks again, guys!