Does the existence of the first party battery pack imply that the iPhone 6S is lacking in battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kylera, Apr 18, 2016.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

My iPhone 5C is facing enough issues that it makes more sense to get a new one. I feel it's enough of a need to not wait for the 7 or even the SE, so I would like to ask whether the battery life is plenty good enough, or whether the fact that Apple sells a first party battery pack implies battery is lacking.

My current uses:
    - Mobile web browsing
    - Tethering to MBA for work
    - Syncing with my GPS watch to log runs
    - Calorie counting
    - Occasional gaming (2D games, nothing like the likes of infinity blade or implosion)

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Tethering always sucked the power out of my iPhone so I went to cellular iPads

Gaming is also a battery hog.

3. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

If your 6S 4.7" has TSMC, the battery lasts for a day under heavy use. But if it's a Samsung made SOC, there isa significant reduction in battery life. No matter how much Apple apologists try to downplay the issue, it exists. We have both TSMC and Samsung based iPhones in our house and the Samsung one glitches and becomes hot randomly.
    A battery case would come handy in such scenario. You can even get those Mophie juice battery case packs if you dislike Apple humpback.

4. ABC5S, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016

ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Battery packs are sold for many of our smartphones, and not one smartphone has enough battery power to last most heavy users a full day. That is why they are sold, not to mention some customers go on an extended trip without the ability to plug in (Airplanes for one). Your use might be different than others. I get 3 days of use or more with my 6s, but I'm not a gamer, nor use it for music or youtube stuff. Others last a few hours of intense use.

5. 960design macrumors 68000

My 6s lasts all day and generally ends with about 50% battery left. The only time I run the battery all the way down is tethering and streaming music while working.

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Well you might have a defective iPhone but I doubt it'd be because of the SOC. I've got a Samsung in my 6S Plus and it's the most stable, reliable iPhone I've ever owned. It never overheats randomly. My phone lasts all day in heavy use but does experience intermittent fast draining with the Facebook app and the FB Messenger App, but that is true for all iPhones.

I'm planning on getting the SE because it's easier to carry around outdoors in the summer but my 6S Plus with the Samsung internals is so good that for the first time since my beloved IPhone 4, I'm not tempted to upgrade for possibly another whole year.

7. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

I am talking specifically about 4.7" model where heat dissipation remains a problem due to smaller physical dimensions. Samsung made SOC in 4.7" size really hurts.

With 5.5" Plus models, I am seeing better battery life and performance for Samsung. due to bette heat dissipation.

8. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Ah, thank you for the clarification. I did not realize that was a problem.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

No, it doesn't really imply anything one way or another.

10. 960design macrumors 68000

I have the Samsung in my 4.7 6s and haven't noticed a heat issue. The only time it is not actually cold to the touch is when using GPS for a significant time or tethering for an hour or more. To be clear, it is no where near hot, just warm.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2016 ---
    Poorly written javascript is probably the culprit there.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Just because they are selling a portable power pack does not mean that the iPhone needs it to get through the average day.

12. chabig macrumors 68040

Tether wired with the Lightning cable. the phone's charge will go up, not down.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Thanks for that bit of info but I am talking wireless tether.