Does the extra 2gb make a difference in the 11" models?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by shane.reid, Jul 25, 2011.

1. shane.reid macrumors newbie

Hard drive space is not an issue, I only need 64gb.

I'm a typical user, decent sized spreadsheets, web, email, 10-12 safari tabs, twitter.

That's about it.

Do I care about the 2gb difference?

2. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

10-12 tabs together with spreadsheets and email could be tough. if they are done separetely it's cool. then again, it won't be slower than any machine without an ssd so, i say go for 2gb.
    BUT if you want it to last more than 2 years better get the 4gb.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Probably not. It should run fine with 2GB.

I've always believed you should get as much computer as you can afford to you can extend its usefulness as much as possible, also given how hard it is to upgrade these. But worst case if you run into a situation where you need more in the future, you can always sell this one and get another one with more memory.

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

If you're running all that at the same time, you could probably get by with 2GB, but 4GB will come in handy. IMO, I would rather have too much ram than too little.

5. TheBaconKing macrumors regular

TheBaconKing

With the MacBook Air I would get the 4GB. Any other Mac is user upgradable.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

7. bigp9998 macrumors regular

Considering that you can't upgrade it, I think the 4 GB is worth it in its higher resale value alone. In 3 years when OS X Cougar or whatever comes out, nobody will want to buy a computer with 2 GB RAM from you.

8. shane.reid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies... sounds like I'll be spending the extra couple hundred!

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Good decision. Multiple tabs in Excel and Safari can use up RAM quicker than you realize. Technically, you can just spend $100 by ordering online and getting a 4GB/64GB model, but I think the extra SSD storage also comes in handy.

10. adamtj11 macrumors 6502

I used my sisters one with 2gb opened 25 applications at one time ran fine, then i ordered one! the SSD and CPU really help with the 2gb Ram in it for what you wanna do 2gb is fine, just don't try running professional photo software on it, but why would you on a 11" macbook air?

11. Catdog12349 macrumors newbie

I just got my 11" mba with 4g ram and with a couple of desktops and full screen apps running I am usually around 2g ram +- .5 so you made a great choice.