Does the Facebook Mobile Web App send push notifications?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattdo93, Sep 21, 2011.

1. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Hey all, I just started using the Facebook from Safari because the new update keeps crashing and freezing and added it to my home screen. Quick question, does this one send push notifications like the App Store one?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

no

:facepalm:

Setup email notifications, and get push.

3. shandyman Suspended

That doesn't work anymore as facebook have stopped doing emails for every notification you get on facebook now, i got an email the other day saying they're changing it to summary emails and not had one since

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Try working on reading comprehension.

5. shandyman Suspended

Nice to see you read it. I was right, individual emails are off by default and you only get summary emails. You have to go back into settings to turn them on as everyone's got turned off when this change happened.

6. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

That's weird. Perhaps you should delete and re-install the app?

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No, you're delusional, and yes, thats why i said this

And gave you instructions again, since you didnt cmprehend facebooks the first time

8. shandyman Suspended

You should have been more clear and specific in that original post then, as this change is new, so not a lot of people are fully aware of it yet and you were vague so you could have easily meant the old email notifications. We're not mind readers :p

9. mattdo93 thread starter macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Tried that a bunch of times, and it would work for a little bit then be crappy again. I even restored my phone, but that didn't work either. I may just get the previous version from Installous :p that one was working fine.

10. Krayzie116 macrumors 6502

How do you get the previous version, I am running to the same problem too. I thought it was the iOS 5 Beta 7 causing it. You running iOS 5 Beta 7?

11. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I've found Facebook unusable since their last update and I thought it was maybe because I'm on iOS 5 Beta 7 but my mate is running it too and running Facebook perfectly.

12. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Push notifications coming through fine for me on beta 7

13. mattdo93 thread starter macrumors 6502

mattdo93

By jailbreaking. Installous has all of the old Facebook versions starting at 3.0
    It's gonna be tethered but if that's what it takes to fix it then so be it. I kinda want to try BiteSMS 6.0 anyways. They integrated QR and QC with iOS 5 =)

Yea I'm running iOS 5 Beta 7 and the Facebook app before the update was working fine for me. Now it just freezes and every time I go back it crashes and won't work. Even after deleting and reinstalling it a bunch of times it has the same problem over and over.

When the app is stable, then push notifications work fine for me too. But for this version (3.5), it's not for me. So now I'm going back to 3.4.x

14. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

Can't you just wait a couple of weeks for the GM?

15. mattdo93 thread starter macrumors 6502

mattdo93

iOS 5 Beta 7 is not the problem here. In fact, it works extremely well which is why I'm not afraid to jailbreak it. I use Facebook on my phone daily and right now it's complete horsesh*t. Unless MyPad can step up its game or all of my friends move to Google+, this is something I gotta do.

16. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

Hmmm...I also don't understand this relying on FB push so much. Just check it when you can.

Perhaps it's because I live and die by e-mail. I would never trust FB as my primary means of communication (and I correct my friends when they use it as a way to get in touch with me). FB won't last forever. E-mail will.

17. shandyman Suspended

We just got Facebook messenger ap in the UK and its crap. I don't get notifications for when people message me via FB chat unless I'm in it, same as the main FB app. When I'm in it, there's hardly any difference between it and the FB pass messages section, just the suspending of notifications until 8am, etc, location adding and photos. Surely the coulda saved some time to just add those to the existing FB app's messages section and the rest of the time fixing the main app than make this redundant POS app.....

18. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I don't like relying on it either but sometimes you can't change how some people want to interact with you and it sucks that to this day the push notifications on the facebook app are messed up

19. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Really? The Facebook messenger app gives me proper notifications on both my iPhone and my iPad. I don't even need to be in the app. Nt sure why it isn't work for you :/

20. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

The FB app, quite frankly, sucks. You can actually do more in the web app (view photo albums in groups, for example), and see notifications and birthdays ABOVE your newsfeed (instead of a separate window). I've re-enabled email notifications, so instead of needing push notifications from the app itself, I just use my email as my central notification bucket.

21. shandyman Suspended

it's now started to, but it's spasmodically and oly for FB chat messages, not messages sent via the normal message way.

22. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

No... the FaceBook app does push notification. What would make you think a web app will send you push notifications? :confused:

----------

If you go into settings on your FaceBook account; you can set up email notifications for every notification you get. But honestly; do you really need email notifications if the FaceBook app already notifies you?

23. shandyman Suspended

I knew that, i was just pointing out the new default as when i posted that it was on the first day it changed.......

Plus the point is, the facebook app doesn't notify properly as you're lucky to get a notification when something actually happens. you either get the notification a while after it happens, if you get it at all. the last hour i've had 7 notifications via the browser on the PC, on the iPhone, which is on the same network via wifi, the facebook app got them about 20 minutes later, if at all.

They need to fix this.

Also as i said, neither the facebook app or the facebook messages app don't notify you when you get messages that are sent via a normal FB Message as opposed to via FB chat