Resolved Does the Facetime Camera require the dGPU?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimmyhii, Jun 16, 2011.

1. jimmyhii, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

jimmyhii macrumors member

I was just wondering if the facetime camera requires the dGPU to be active since things like photobooth automatically cause switching to the dGPU? It would be a real turn-off if I couldn't use the facetime camera when trying to preserve my battery on integrated graphics only..

thanks in advance guys!

2. JH4DC5 macrumors member

facetime does trigger the dGPU. you can use something like gfxcardstatus to force the integrated GPU instead.

3. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Nothing requires the discrete GPU. However, when a program calls upon certain APIs, OS X automatically switches to discrete. If you use gfxCardStatus, you can force OS X to only use integrated.

4. jimmyhii thread starter macrumors member

yes i'm aware of that. It's just a concern because a similar thing occurs with driving a display through the mDP. in the 15/17 inchers only the dGPU can drive the external screen. The integrated graphics simply isn't wired to drive the external displays, isn't it (i hope i got this right from reading the forums)?

I would just like to know if a similar set-up is true for the facetime camera. (ie. can I use the facetime camera while using the integrated graphics?)

5. JH4DC5 macrumors member

the integrated graphics have no problem running facetime (using gfxcardstatus to force integrated gpu). i run facetime off the integrated graphics all the time, unless i have an external monitor hooked up.

6. jimmyhii thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks! that's great:)

7. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Running an external display requires the dGPU.