Does the front Firewire on anyone's MacPro work?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by purdueboiler87, Dec 27, 2008.

1. purdueboiler87 macrumors member

So the front firewire on my MacPro (early 2008) stopped working. Not sure if it ever worked actually. I finally lugged it into the Apple store two weeks ago. I had to leave it for a couple of days and they told me they replaced two logic boards. I brought it home and plugged in a firewire drive and it didn't show up. I unplugged and plugged again and it did show. Now, I plug in my video camera and even a firewire drive and it is not working again. Everything works when plugged into my ACD.

Honestly, I am getting tired of having to lug my MacPro to the Apple store because they can't fix the firewire. How many times do I need to bring it back before I start pushing for a new one? It seems like the front firewire is an issue on these machines. I might wait and see if any updates are announced but not to happy about this.

Bob

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why would you not have them show you its fixed before leaving the store?:confused:

3. Ploki macrumors 68000

4. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Seems like you're a devout Apple consumer and supporter so they should make it right by you. Mine works but I use it sparingly. Even if that's the case, I still wouldn't put up with a crippled product.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...no, it seems like it is an issue on *your* machine, not "these" ones. Don't put up with it...take it in and insist that it be dealt with properly, and test it thoroughly before bringing it home again even if it means bringing your own peripherals to the store to test with when you go pick it up....oh yeah!

6. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Duffman says a lot of things, oh yeah!

yeah, get pissy and demand a replacement. you've earned it by this time.

7. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

8. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

I fail to see the point in making a thread asking whether everyone else's firewire works ;)

I'm sure that if nobody's Firewire ports worked, there would be an uprising and there would probably be the heads of many a Genius on pikes in front of 1 Infinite Loop.

So obviously, if something doesn't work on your computer, it doesn't work. :) You deserve to have it fixed, and since their repair depot hasn't been able to do it properly for however many times you've tried, something more needs to be done.

I'd say on the 3rd trip in, start demanding that they do more to fix it. If they try 3 front panels and none of them work... I don't think it's an issue with the front panel.

9. Horst Guest

Some very power hungry external HDDs and other devices (calibrators, digital backs etc.) without their own power supply may have issues with the front FW and USB ports, while the ones in the rear work fine, ime.

Happened with PM G5 and MacPro.
    If one of the front ports doesn't work at all, it is broken.
    Obviously.

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

All ports are working fine, on both MP systems. Phew...

11. jabrowntx macrumors 6502