Does the Galaxy Note 2 eliminate the need for an iPad?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Sounds Good, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Hi,

I'm considering a move from iPhone to Samsung Galaxy 3S or Note 2. Not sure which of the two I might prefer.

Question for the Note 2 owners: Do you feel that the Note 2 eliminates the need for an iPad or other tablet? Or do you still prefer using both devices?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks...

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Eliminates the need for an iPad. I realized how restricted the iPad was when I got the Note 2, because other than the size, it isn't actually more capable than a Note 2 with the exception of specific apps that one might need on an iPad (I don't have any that I need, so I stopped using it).

3. Fed macrumors 6502

I'll update this thread when mine arrives. However at the moment I can't justify an iPad as I'll only use it on the sofa. I wouldn't dream of taking it out to a coffee shop or in work as it's massive. Whereas phones like the iPhone and to an extend the SIII, lack size. I'm hoping the Note II will be a compromise of portability, power and size. We shall see!

4. sbb155 macrumors 6502

I would be interested in hearing more about this topic as well

5. OceanView macrumors 65816

I gave my iPad to my wife as I no longer used it.
    It never was more than just a web browser on the couch.

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Ever since I got my Note II, I've been using my iPad less. I pretty much only use an iPad while sitting on the couch or laying in bed.

7. zbarvian macrumors 68010

There is never a "need" for an iPad. As far as I'm convinced, it's a total luxury item. That being said, I don't think a Note 2 is really an iPad replacement. The ipad still has a much larger screen and some really cool apps that set it apart from phones and phablets.

8. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Doesn't eliminate the need for a tablet. The screen is still much too small for things like enjoyably surfing the web or watching movies. If I could fit my Nexus 7 in my jeans pocket I would.

9. theluggage macrumors 68030

I've been using my iPad a lot less since I got a Note 2, but this might just be novelty value.

However, I'd say that the answer depends on what you use your iPad for.

As a portable web/email/messaging terminal, camera, media player and (if all else fails) phone, the Note 2 beats a tablet hands down because it fits in your pocket. Yes, some things would be nicer on a 10" screen but the Note can do them. For instance, in landscape mode, the Note 2 will display the MacRumors website even if you turn off 'mobile mode'... small, but perfectly formed and quite usable if you have decent eyesight (and the s-pen helps if you get tiny buttons). Also, you don't need to worry about having a mobile data plan for your phone and your tablet, or faffing around with tethering.

As a "laptop replacement" though, if you're going to be writing/editing a lot, editing photos or graphics, then a full-size tablet will still win.

What wouldn't make sense, unless you had very particular requirements, is carrying a Note, a tablet and a laptop. Also, you wouldn't want a 7" tablet and a Note 2.

10. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I never really felt the need for a tablet even with my smaller phone, so it's no surprise that I feel even moreso that way with the note 2. lol.

If you're going to be drawing a lot you need a note 10.1, if you're going to be writing (typing) a lot, you need a macbook air. ;)

11. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Yes. I consider my second Note 2 like "5.5" iPod LTE." As I said I couldn't decide between the new touch or mini. Why not get best of both worlds sort of speak.

12. hyteckit Guest

Depends on what you use the iPad for.

I haven't touch my Note 2 for over a week.

Been using my iPad Mini daily with my iPhone.

I think what I really wanted is a 7.9" Note.

13. nick_elt, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

I have both. It is not a replacement as i see it as a large phone rather than a small tablet. However I do use the ipad less now as I see the limitations that ios has. The ipad is good tho because I also have apple tv and it works well with that.

14. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I ended up keeping my Note 2 as there were some features I really liked about the device. But as a replacement for even a 7" tablet, no way....let alone as a replacement for a real tablet like my Asus Transformer or my iPad.

Its just too small to be a tablet. Too large to be my primary phone, as I've decided, but a nice "casual wear" device for those days when I'm just going to be loafing around, or maybe hanging out with the kids at a sports tourney or something. Definitely not my go-to device but I like gadgets and as a gadget...its pretty cool.

I also haven't been happy with the responsiveness of the stylus when used extensively for note taking. I get better results out of Noteability and a capacitive stylus on my iPad.