Does the Genius Bar still warranty exchange 2G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lavinci, Jul 1, 2009.

1. lavinci macrumors 6502

I'm wondering since the phone came out two years ago, does the genius bar still service the 2G? I need to bring my current one in because when I'm on a call, this thing burns like fire at both the metal and glass. I don't think it getting that hot is normal.

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

Do you have applecare?

3. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

The Genius Bar takes everyone's appointments. Of course, your warranty is probably out already. If you want it fixed, you'll have to pay for the examination of the phone and any necessary costs to fix it. Pay attention to the bill, because it might be worth it to just upgrade your phone.

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

My mom swapped her 4 GB iPhone yesterday. Yes, they still have a crap load of refurbished phones.

5. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

As long as you brought Apple Care they will exchange it for you.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

There's no fee for them to examine the phone.

If it's out of warranty, they'll tell you how much it costs to get fixed, and then let you decide if you want to do it.

They can still replace U2 iPods. How many years have those been out? I mean, they may have to order it from the depot, but they can get one. So yes, they can still take care of original iPhones.

7. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

it varies... if you're nice and you happen to get someone who is sympathetic they could replace your phone for you no sweat. But then again, the odds are against you, so try not to rely on that scenario.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just remember to say how scared you are of extremely hot iPhones after seeing those Youtube videos of the Lithium batteries catching fire in people's pants. ;)

9. alexmadison macrumors member

alexmadison

I haven't seen those.

10. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup still under applecare. It gets hot to the point where I have to hold the phone away from my ear just for it to feel comfortable.

11. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Hm.. the Genius I had said that if I wasn't under warranty I'd have to pay $100 for the appointment.

12. daflake macrumors 6502a

Not true....

13. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

The appointment is just a free consultation on what you need to do next. It's your choice to do what they recommend.

14. Stiss macrumors 6502a

A in-warranty exchange is always done on spec for spec so they should replace 2g for 2g. But if there comes a time when they have no more left, they will replace them with a 3g as its nearest in spec.

15. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

My applecare runs out in December, so would you all suggest I wait until then?

16. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

If it's getting that hot I'd personally swap it straight away.