Does the Genius Bar take down your product's serial number when repairing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by js102, Dec 22, 2008.

1. js102 macrumors newbie

I didn't know where to post this so I chose this section as closest.

So here's what I'm wondering: say you go in for a repair, does the genius bar log the serial number of your product so if you ever went again (even to a different store) they would know you had visited the genius bar before for that product?

Thanks

2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

They do. That way they build a service history if you need it repaired again--particularly for the same reported problem. That's what they'll use as the documentation to determine if replacement is warranted.

4. js102 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like we have 2 conflicting answers. I was leaning toward they do log it as that would make more sense.

Any former or current employees around that can throw an opinion?

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Of course they log it. Do you think Apple just allows them to do whatever they want to computers all day?

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I took my MacBook Pro in to be checked at the Genius Bar a couple of weeks ago. After listening to my description of the fault, the first thing he checked was the serial number, which he input into his computer and checked my AppleCare status.

I've taken it in a few times over the last eighteen months and they have always checked the serial number. It is also printed on the work sheet they give you to sign when they have finished checking it.

7. Remiss63 macrumors newbie

Remiss63

Yes, they record the serial number . . .

I've taken my MacBook Pro to the Genius Bar several times in the past few months due to unusual, undiagnosed freezing. Each time I've brought it in and they've worked on it, they always check the serial number and enter it into their computer for reference. First off, they want to determine whether it is covered under original warranty, Apple Care, or not.

Similarly, each time I call Apple Care for support they ask for the serial number and make a record of the issues addressed and resolution (if any).

Finally, the last time I was at the Genius Bar, I was there for another reason, but asked some questions about my MacBook Pro. They were able to pull it up on their system to see what work had been done on it.

I believe the technicians at the Genius Bar will not and cannot perform work on any Mac product without accessing and recording the serial number.

A few years back, having trouble with my G3 ruby iMac, I naively carried it into the Apple Store (to various strange looks) and I was told they would not even look at it, they stopped supporting it and even if I was willing to pay for diagnosis and repair, they wouldn't touch it.

Do you have a reason to be concerned about their recording the serial number when they perform work on your unit? Wouldn't you prefer that they record that information?

8. gothamm macrumors 6502a

what i meant to say was 'yes'. wonder how i got the two mixed.