Does the glass track pad eventually show wear or become shiny?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Colin0317, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Colin0317 macrumors member

Is a plastic protector worth getting for it? I don't like how the plastic track pads have this glossy look after a while...

2. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

Hmm....dunno, I use a mouse 90% of the time with mine.

3. Colin0317 thread starter macrumors member

I guess it's a good thing that people don't know... must not be an issue. :)

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I hate it too so I got a trackpad sticker from Bestbuy. I like it a lot, both for keeping the trackpad looking new and the way it feels when sliding is better than on the glass imo.

5. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Had mine for a year and still no wear whatsoever.

6. EldonChew macrumors regular

7. entropi macrumors 6502

My five and a half year old MBP17" glass trackpad is used daily and looks as new, no "protection" is needed!
    It looks completely different from older trackpads, who used to get a shiny spot in the middle after a couple of years...

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Thank you for giving folks another issue to look for. :)

9. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I've had my 17" MacBook Pro 5 years 9 months. It has the glass trackpad, it's a unibody model.

I've used the laptop almost every single day since I bought it and I always use the trackpad, I don't use an external mouse.

The trackpad shows no signs of wear at all. It feels the same all over, from the edge to the centre. It also shows no visual signs of wear. No blemishes of any kind.

In my opinion if it has worn at all, it's so small I cannot identify it. Maybe if I had a microscope I could see something.

10. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Well, it is (supposedly) Glass, and will collect Oils and Dirt from usage, so if you do NOT clean it sometimes you will scratch it from using it.. and/or the constant usage will 'polish it' if not cleaned off once in a while and make it appear shiny as it were.. a Hot Damp Cloth and perhaps a bit of Mild Soap has always kept my machine clean and happy.. Good Luck :apple:

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

12. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

used my standalone magic trackpad so much that I've actually managed to bend it when viewed along the left hand side lol, but still not one shiny worn point on the entire surface :)

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Are you sure bout that? :apple:

14. patrick001 macrumors member

patrick001

This is the one cool thing that unibody Macbook Pros had after the second generation or so (around 2009), where the glass trackpads would never wear and basically will always look new, as long as you clean it here and there. The first generation unibody Macbook Pros did have trackpads that would wear (or the shiny spot as someone else called it) after a mere few weeks. And that was annoying.

15. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

Well human fingers have grease which causes that shininess. I have my MBP for 4 years now and I wash my hands a lot before working on my laptop and never eat and type and still the keyboard is not like new, all the keys are shiny and the trackpad is shiny in the center but it's not noticeable that easily! I clean it a lot though!

16. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

My 2013 rMBP is a month old and its shiny on the trackpad :)

17. Silon macrumors member

^