Does the "glossy" screen on the black macbook bother anyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shuweiyu16, May 20, 2007.

1. shuweiyu16 macrumors member

Just wondering if the "glossy" screen on the black macbook bother any of you guys out there who own the black macbook.
    Thanks

2. imMAColata macrumors member

My neighbour has a blackbook and I've just received a whitebook. Side by side there are no problems at all with the gloss. We agree that its actually rather neat.

3. andrewag macrumors 6502

I have a black MacBook and the glossy screen has never bothered me - I actually quite like it.

Great computer.

4. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I like the glossy screen on my blackbook. I've had none of the glare problems people told me I'd get. Lovely and clear.

5. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

I have an iBook with a Matte-display and know I won't be upgrading to the Macbook because of the Glossy. I've never had such a comfortable reading-experience and (would) hate the way the (sun)light reflects on a glossy screen.

Way to go Apple to make me spend $500 more before I can get my hands on a Matte. :rolleyes:

6. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I've had a Powerbook for 2 years with a matte screen and I thought the glossy screen would be a nightmare to adjust to. But given an hour with my MacBook I had already forgotten it even had a glossy screen.

It's only when there is something bright behind me and I notice the reflection that I realise its there!

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

i hate how fast it gets dirty-looking, but otherwise it's fine.

8. jonutarr macrumors regular

jonutarr

9. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

The gloss screen is a bonus to a lot of people (particularly for people coming at this from the PC direction). Sony make a big deal of x-brite screens.

I came from two generations of 12" powerbook and I couldn't be happier with the macbook screen (apart from it could hinge back a little more). The matte powerbook screens were passable at best in those machines really.

The reflections are over emphasiszed. In my use I hardly ever see them.

10. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

What about the sound? This is coming from a 12" PB owner who won't switch to a MB until the speakers are on par with what I already have, by that time I might as well stay with a pro machine.

11. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I'd like to try one of these machines for an extended period. The matte screen on my 12" pb isn't all that great. I thought the G4 iBook screen was a lot better, thanks to the slight increase in depth.

12. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Sound? Yeah it has sound (comparable to the powerbook 12" anyway).

Beyond emergency use laptop speakers are never going to sound that good, esp. in a 1" thick package (speaker need volume and air to work). I hardly ever use the speakers anyway.

13. garethh macrumors regular

I have a white MacBook and am particularly fond of the glossy screen. It makes everything look quite vivid. I prefer it to normal LCD screens.

14. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I like the glossy screen on my white MacBook except for the fact that it gets filthy fast and when I clean it, shows streak marks.

15. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

16. aristobrat macrumors G5

Hmmmmmmm.

Between my MacBook (when I had it) and my partners PowerBook, on sunny days, the MacBook was the only one usable outside in the backyard.

While the matte screen doesn't reflect in bright lights, it does fade. Even with the brightness turned all of the way up, it was unreadable outside on bright, sunny days.

The MacBook, depending on the angle of the screen, would either reflect bright enough to blind you, or could be adjusted to almost perfect.

End result was the matte was totally unusable regardless of the angle, but glossy, on the right angle, was fine.

Same experience inside. If there was a bright light, the glossy screen angle may have to be titled a little too or fro, but I never encountered a situation where glossy was uncomfortable to use.

17. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

The glossy screen was one of the features that caught my interest wiht the Macbook originally, considering that I hadn't had much experience before with such screens.
    After seeing it on a Macbook and a 17" Windows Laptop I wasn't that annoyed by the glare and thought that it looked quite impressive.
    That said, I think I was also won over by the brightness and could only really compare it to bad TFTs in school and my own PC.

I've yet to see a matte MBP in real life, though.

18. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

I love it and have no problems seeing it in day light.

19. notwist macrumors regular

I don't use my Macbook for any serious image or video editing so I decided on getting the Macbook (black). The screens looks amazing though there is a bit of a glare when there is a light directly overhead, but that rarely ever happens in my case so it's not a big deal for me.

20. thenick512 macrumors newbie

I am hopefully getting a new black macbook this weekend. I can not wait.

21. BlizZ10 macrumors member

hey

i have to add to this...
    im goign to college next year and will be ordering a mbp sometime soon... since im going to college im probably goign to be outside studying and on my computer... which type of screen do u recommend for this?

22. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Same here. I am sitting near several light sources and I cant even see a reflection.

23. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

What about extended periods of staring at the screen? One of the many reasons I originally picked my iBook was because I tend to spend at least 6 hours/day on my machine and I heard from several sources that the matte screen, on the iBook at least, was a less-strenuous experience. I know that my previous monitor, a Dell, started to hurt my eyes after a few hours. What about the glossy screen on Macbooks and Pros?

The other advantage to Matte screens is of course the more accurate colour-portrayal, which I guess is mostly relevant to photo-people.

24. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I haven't had any problems with "my" glossy screen. :)

FJ

25. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

I have a black book that sits on my office desk everyday and there is a quite bright windows about 15 ft away shining light in and the glossy does a really good job from showing reflection of the window. there is also a bench crt next to it and the reflection of the window shows up int he screen when it is on but the macbook right next to it not even a slight bit of window reflection. i think the black book with the glossy screen is a great combo