Does the GM require a dev account?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by tymaster50, Aug 4, 2013.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I can't remember, I know I used it last year, so say I wanna restore to iOS 7, would it say the device needs to be registered?

2. ps3zocker macrumors regular

No. The GM is usually the final version and is the same version that will be downloadable for customers. So it works without a developer account.

3. Crooks macrumors regular

So, if I didn't upgrade from the GM to the public release, say 7.1 came out. Would I be able to upgrade from 7.0 GM to 7.1 via OTA?

4. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

Yes you should be able to, as the GM is the same build that goes out to the public. If you are on a beta of 7.0 and expect to get to 7.1 it will probably fail, as the 7.0 betas expire, and GM's don't expire.

5. Crooks macrumors regular

I see, thanks for answering my question! :)

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

To further clarify. The GM, or GoldMaster, by definition is the load that is given to the factories to load into the flash memory of all the iPhones going out to consumers for release day...

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

nope, hell not even the betas are 'required' to have a dev account to load them.

8. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

I'm getting excited seeing threads about the GM :)

9. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Don't get too excited, we're at least 2 maybe 3 beta's away from GM which can equate to about 1.5 months time :p.

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

If the build number of the GM version is the same as the public version (which it almost always is), there will be nothing to update to. When Apple releases an update, there will be a new build number, so whenever there's a build number change, you'll be prompted to update.