Does the Gold Milanese loop scratch the screen?

jr69

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2018
I know that the black milanese loop can scratch the screen, even the SS screen which is more harder than the aluminum one. Thats because they use DLC for the coating that has a 9-10 hardness rating. But what about the gold SS coating? Is that more harder than the sapphire screen?

jr69

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2018
It doesn't matter how it touches, the question is will it scratch or not?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I know that the black milanese loop can scratch the screen, even the SS screen which is more harder than the aluminum one. Thats because they use DLC for the coating that has a 9-10 hardness rating. But what about the gold SS coating? Is that more harder than the sapphire screen?
The black stainless uses the DLC coating as you mentioned, the gold stainless does not, it uses a PVD coating. For those who don’t know, that’s a ‘physical vapor deposition’, which does not acquire the diamond Like hardness that DLC has. So I doubt it would scratch the display in the same way the black stainless link/Milanese loop does.

See attachment from Apple:

00B06095-1D55-4B71-8CC1-B7973E3B82A2.png

jr69

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2018
The black stainless uses the DLC coating as you mentioned, the gold stainless does not, it uses a PVD coating. For those who don’t know, that’s a ‘physical vapor deposition’, which does not acquire the diamond Like hardness that DLC has. So I doubt it would scratch the display in the same way the black stainless link/Milanese loop does.

See attachment from Apple:

Thanks for this! Whats the hardness of the PVD?

jr69

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2018
I don’t know the ‘exact hardness’ that PVD is rated for, but here is some back information source from Wikipedia on physical vapor deposition coatings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_vapor_deposition

It's unfortunate that there isn't much information on the web at all regarding the hardness of the PVD coating. But I think ti won't get scratched because I haven't seen much people complaining about their Gold SS getting scratched by milanese loops. Only people with the black milanese loop have complained