Does the gold SS watch have a DLC like the Black SS watch?

shaud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Does anyone know if the gold SS have a diamond like coating? I can’t seem to find an answer anywhere.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Does anyone know if the gold SS have a diamond like coating? I can’t seem to find an answer anywhere.
There is no confirmation that it will include a DLC finish, my thoughts are that it will be exactly like the regular stainless, so it will show scratches. I don't know how the Gold will react if using a polishing cloth to remove the scratches.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Awaiting confirmation from Stan Ng at Apple...

Got a reply...

Hi Karim,
It is a PVD process. Thanks.

-stan

Last edited:

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
It is PVD. Will be interesting to see how it wears, but should be a pretty sturdy finish.
If it’s anything like the PVD coating on the stainless bands for the space gray iPhone X, it should be fairly durable. The negative side would be that you can’t use a polishing cloth on PVD coding if it does scratch, because it will remove the finish due to abrasives from the cloth.

Reactions: techno-Zen

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
If it’s anything like the PVD coating on the stainless bands for the space gray iPhone X, it should be fairly durable. The negative side would be that you can’t use a polishing cloth on PVD coding if it does scratch, because it will remove the finish due to abrasives from the cloth.
I don’t polish my SS now. I’m fine with minor scratches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.