Does the high BPM notification work?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by HeartExplosion, Nov 1, 2018.

1. HeartExplosion macrumors newbie

So an hour ago, my BPM went from 60 to ~175 in a minute as I stood up, but I did not receive any notifications on my Apple Watch 4 SS or on my iPhone even though the notifications were turned on for "Over 120 BPM". Any idea if this actually works or is it a glitch that needs patching? My Heart Rate has been over 140 BPM for a little bit now (According to my Watch that's running 5.0.1). Also, I just checked the chart and it looks like I've been over 120 many times today. I wonder if the notification work at all. Anyone experienced something like this before? How reliable is the Apple Watch?

Dear Apple,
    Please hurry up and release that ECG/EKG. Also fix up the heart rate notifications.

Attached Files:

2. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors 6502

I thought the notifications were only for low activity with high heart rate. So if you are moving a lot you won’t get them.

Low hundreds while being active doesn’t sound that bad.

Secondly you can often get dud readings from Apple Watch, when taking manual readings I often see it jump around. Optical sensors are limited. And it can be thrown by irregular heart beats.

Feel your pulse and time it against the stopwatch.

If you are over 120-140 doing nothing and you aren’t stressed I suggest you see a doctor.

3. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

It need to be over 120 BPM for ‘a period of time’, and you have to be staying still.

Likewise for low heart rate, which has to be at that for at least 10 minutes.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Yes, it works. I got the notification when mine rose above the BMP I set for several minutes and wasn’t active.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sounds like the watch is working just fine. The only time it should alarm is when it exceeds your preset rate while you are inactive.

Apple, you are doing a great job!

6. Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

I believe that it has to exceed the preset rate at rest for some period of time. But yes it does work, I gave my S3 to a friend (who is a nurse), and it ‘pinged’ her for high heart rate. She went to the ER and it was confirmed. Fortunately no serious condition was identified at present.

Cheers, Azy

7. nasa25 macrumors 65816

username to topic ratio checks out

8. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Unless I misread, you were not active when this occurred. If this is not normal for you, you can always see a doctor.

When I get alerts they always seem to be hours after occurring. A little late. But, the false readings are non-existent on my S4 compared to my S0.

I am no doctor, but could be Tachycardia.

All IMHO

Also, my impression is the ECG will only be monitoring for AFIB---not sure on that.

9. HeartExplosion thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is I wasn't moving during that time or active during that time. It hit 173 out of nowhere. It felt like 173. Could be due to reaction of coffees and a stimulant that I took hours before.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2018 ---
    It exceeded my preset rate for more than 10 minutes, while I was inactive, which is why I was wondering if it worked at all.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2018 ---

I still have not received anything on my AW4 or on my iPhone. Yes, that was not normal. It came out of nowhere and I felt like I couldn't walk. It did not feel like a panic attack. Heart Rate stayed at 100-120 for the next 12 hours, into the next day which was very unusual. I've had a real ECG/EKG 2 months ago, but nothing was shown. Hopefully, the next time something like this happens, I get a notification.

FUN FACT: My Grandfather's Heart Exploded according to the Autopsy.

10. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

11. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors 6502

Hmmm, I hope you see a doc there mate. Don’t muck around with this stuff.

I wonder if this is a notifications bug.

Have you looked into HealthKit app to see if it is logging High Heart Rate Notifications?

You should see something like this:

5B12746A-705E-4FAB-8B2A-8CD784336A0C.png