Does the Hitachi 7K500 Have a G Sensor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lyons238, Mar 29, 2010.

1. lyons238 macrumors 6502

I currently have the seagate 7200.4 500gb but i noticed my load cycle count is already at 8000 after only 3 weeks of use. So I think Im going with the hitachi 7k500. does anyone know if this has the g sensor built in? if so does this interfere with my macbooks g sensor?

2. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I don't know about the G sensor.

You can't always trust the numerical values for SMART info, nor can you trust that it is correctly labeled. A lot of fields are manufacturer-specific or not required by the standard. As long as you aren't hearing the drive spinning up and stopping all the time and the computer is working normally (not lagging or beachballing), you are probably fine. It would have to happen every 30 seconds nonstop to get 8000 cycles in 3 weeks.

Please refrain from bumping threads (especially within a few hours).

4. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Seagate drives will have model numbers as such:

xxxxxxx......AS

or

xxxxxxxxx.....ASG

If it ends in G, it has a sensor. Yes, the sensor interferes with the Mac's sensor and you should find a way to disable one or the other.

Either way, look up your model number on Google to find out.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

^^ Not a seagate, therefore different naming conventions.

The OP, it's not unreasonable for you to just google '7k500' and go to the manufacturer's website for that drive.

(btw, it doesn't have a G-sensor)

6. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

My bad. I saw "Seagate" somewhere in there and I guess I missed the "Hitachi" part. ;)

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If someone can help me with this: I remember there was a thread here trying to figure out how to reduce OS X copious usage of load cycles.

I'm pretty sure mine looks bad, but my old drive was worse (iirc):

So far 3.5 months of ownership, 2490 hours and 242000 load cycles.

8. davidlv macrumors 65816

Changed this a little, no offense intended, as the OP stated he (currently) has the Seagate and wants to switch to a Hitachi, which is his choice, but I would assume the two drives are very close in terms of performance, etc. I have heard good things about the Hitachi drive, quiet, fast and low battery drain, but the Seagate in my MacBook Pro is also quiet, fast, has no perceptible vibration, and the battery drain is only a little greater than the stock 250GB Toshiba.