Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Hi. I'm about to buy a 'book. I have the funds but I also have a family. I work in film/tv production. Any advice would be appreciated!

Here's what I do with my 1.25 17" 80GB HD iMac at home. It would be very helpful for me to be able to do all this stuff at work, at Starbucks, in the recording studio, on the beach or wherever!

See the screen. I hate to squint. It's gotta be 14 or 15".

iPhoto, 5,000 plus pix 500MB each, use it to update my .mac website weekly. I do simple stuff like rotating pix. But lotsa pix.

iMovie. I have a firewire digital video camera. Once or twice a month, I need to input a 1 hour tape, edit it and output to DVD.

Garageband. I like to record live music on 6 or 7 tracks. Here's the kind of stuff: http://www.macidol.com/jamroom/bands/405/music.php.

Mail, Safari, Final Draft, Word, iTunes.

iRoam. Or rather I'd like to roam if the range could be more than a room. I already bought a Netgear wireless router for my wife's Compaq laptop. Her reception is great as long as she's within 15 feet of the base unit!

I have a 20GB iPod. I use it for music and as a firewire drive.

Question: Will a pimped out 14" 1.2 iBook do all the stuff I'd love it to do without stuttering? Or would a Powerbook be a better choice?

(The cost isn't that different, loaded 1.2 14" vs. a superdriven 1.33 PB.)

By the way, in my work there are TONS of folks who use macs. Thanks!!!

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
both the 12" powerbook and all ibooks only have 1024 by 768 screens, so you might consider saving up for the 15 inch powerbook if you need a larger screen
sounds like a powerbook would be a better choice for you based on what you said you'd be doing with it

512ke said:
Hi. I'm about to buy a 'book. I have the funds but I also have a family. I work in film/tv production. Any advice would be appreciated!

Here's what I do with my 1.25 17" 80GB HD iMac at home. It would be very helpful for me to be able to do all this stuff at work, at Starbucks, in the recording studio, on the beach or wherever!

iPhoto, 5,000 plus pix 500MB each, use it to update my .mac website weekly. I do simple stuff like rotating pix. But lotsa pix.

iMovie. I have a firewire digital video camera. Once or twice a month, I need to input a 1 hour tape, edit it and output to DVD.

Garageband. I like to record live music on 6 or 7 tracks. Here's the kind of stuff: http://www.macidol.com/jamroom/bands/405/music.php.

iRoam. Or rather I'd like to roam if the range could be more than a room. I already bought a Netgear wireless router for my wife's Compaq laptop. Her reception is great as long as she's within 15 feet of the base unit!

I have a 20GB iPod. I use it for music and as a firewire drive.

Question: Will a pimped out 14" 1.2 iBook do all the stuff I'd love it to do without stuttering? Or would a Powerbook be a better choice?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
512ke said:
my g3/800 ibook handles all those just fine (though it's word98 via classic). in fact, i find some things, especially safari, faster on my ibook than on my 2x500 g4.

i'm thinking powerbook for these, especially if you want to use a lot of plug-ins.

btw, my first mac was a 512ke.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
i have one of these new-fangled iBooks, and they can handle the kind of power you want from it. these are amazing little machines. they're great and i LOVE mine... really glad i went for ibook instead of waiting longer to save up for PB.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Thanks for the input and suggestions. They're very helpful!

I still have my 512ke and it still works.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Y'know, back in the day of G3 iBooks, I'd have said go for the Powerbook. But now that iBooks are G4 too, it's harder to say. Word does seem to be that GarageBand is a huge resource hog, so the faster a system and the more memory you can run it on, the better. But aside of that and screen resolution, I don't see anything arguing the Powerbook for your needs.

And the iBook does have one other advantage for you: it's still got better wireless reception than the Powerbooks.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Those are some of the best garageband tracks I have ever heard-- what kind of mike are you using on the clarinet? And the drums sound great. Very nice tracks, 512.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
cut the mustard? Not very hard to do :p

the correct terminology would be "to cut the muster"

http://www.quinion.com/words/qa/qa-cut1.htm

Weird that 'cut the mustard' is actually almost acceptable though :D

I'd get the powerbook for the super drive if you can swing it especially if you do video and want to burn to DVD and also for backing up work.

D

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Interesting. "To cut the muster" is the correct expression. I didn't realize that. "To cut the mustard" sounds more fitting, no? However, I guess one can't really cut mustard. You could spread it. You could wait 'til it dries and then try to cut it. "To cut the grungy mustard". Hmmm. One learns all kinds of things from macrumors.com!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
DGFan said:
What's even more weird is that the link you provided does not support that conclusion
:D

it implies that the roots of the phase most likely came from 'cut the muster' - but since 'cut the mustard' has been around so long and that there is some ambiguity due to the French definition - its a tough call.

I think its more reasonable that its 'muster' became 'mustard' by misunderstanding....

D

rinseout

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Read the artice

512ke said:
Interesting. "To cut the muster" is the correct expression. I didn't realize that.
That is not the correct expression. That was an idea put out as to the origin of the phrase in this article, an idea that the author himself dismisses:
However, if you cut a muster, presumably you do not attend it, so how this can be connected with the idea of excellence is far from clear. The clinching argument for this not being the source is that nobody has found the supposedly original phrase cut the muster anywhere.
(emphasis mine). Everybody can keep saying "cut the mustard" if they like. It's recognised as American slang by none other than the OED. "Cut the muster", on the other hand, is not recognised as an expression, much less an expression with the same meaning, anywhere.
Mr. Anderson said:
the correct terminology would be "to cut the muster"

http://www.quinion.com/words/qa/qa-cut1.htm

Weird that 'cut the mustard' is actually almost acceptable though
Mr. Anderson must have misunderstood the article.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
rinseout said:
Mr. Anderson must have misunderstood the article.

not really - I had always been told it was 'cut the muster' - but is seems that there are more than one source...

here's another link
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/mustard.html

I didn't plan on hijacking the thread...and it seems that 'cutting the mustard' is acceptable....so lets all go back and discuss whether or not the iBook will get the job done here :D

D

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
As part of my job I write a lot of dialogue. One of the important things about writing dialogue is that often you must imitate the way people speak instead of the way people should speak.

Isn't "pass muster" a known expression?

Speaking of iBooks (which we're not :) ) I really am going to buy one. Does anyone have any other thoughts? rueyeet kindly mentioned wireless reception. Does anyone happen to know if the difference in reception is dramatic? Many thanks!

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
"Those are some of the best garageband tracks I have ever heard-- what kind of mike are you using on the clarinet? And the drums sound great. Very nice tracks, 512."

Woah, thank you!!!!! Your compliment is hugely appreciated, particularly because you are now about 20% of my worldwide audience!!!!

To answer your question, I am using the built-in mic on my iMac. I'm clicking on "record" in Garageband and improvising one track on top of the other.

I hope the iBook and Powerbook share the same built-in mic as the iMac! I was pretty surprised when I first heard how warm the live clarinet sounds.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Mustard, cheese, chili and onions on fries tastes pretty good.

Borg3of5

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2003
Orlando, FL
To give you some advice <=====STAY ON TOPIC FOLKS!

I currently have a G3-based 800 MHz iBook. It's fine most of the time, but in the past 5 months I've gotten really tired of getting the spinning beachball a lot of times. Of course this is a G3 iBook. Although I like the silver-looking Powerbooks, the polycarbonate iBook is great. Doesn't ding like the Powerbooks either.

If I were to get a laptop again, I'd like to get at least a 15" screen. There are great deals on the "Save" part of the Apple Store online. You can get both new, unopened Powerbooks of all models, AND refurbished ones. Last time I checked you can get a new 17" PB for $2,599, and a refurbished one for $2,199. Great value, if you ask me! The difference between a 1.33 and 1.50 GHz PB is only 167 MHz, so why this is a GREAT leap-forward is beyond me. Go with a new, unopened 15" Powerbook 1.25 GHz, AND it has the übercool backlit keyboard. Just don't put it on your lap, in case you're a guy! From what I've read, if you plan on breeding-it'll probably kill your buddies in about 5 minutes.

Good luck in deciding. I know I'm having a tough time between:

• 20" iMac, -and-
  • Dual 1.8 G5

I'll probably have to wait until my Stafford loan comes through for the Fall semester, to get the 23" HD Cinema display, so I'll have to rig it to a very undeserving, offbrand, 5+ year-old 17" CRT.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
In summary?

Ok, so in summary the advice I'm getting is this:

Some people think the iBook will be fine for the tasks I outlined.

Some people think it's better to get a Powerbook.

However, no one seems to be saying, the iBook _can't_ handle it.

Right?

Many thanks!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
512ke said:
<snip>

Given your current system any of the PB or iBooks would serve you well.

With respect to the screen, until you really use a 12" screen, you never will know about the "squint" factor. Only time I have a problem with my PB 12" is when I get a funky email with ultra small text. Most email is not like that, but just sometimes.

I am not sure how I ever lived without a small notebook like the 12" PB.

512ke said:

There are a few advantages with the PB over the iBook that may give better performance. The main thing for me and my PB is the official support of monitor spanning.

Good luck...

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
a good summary

512ke said:
Ok, so in summary the advice I'm getting is this:

Some people think the iBook will be fine for the tasks I outlined.

Some people think it's better to get a Powerbook.

However, no one seems to be saying, the iBook _can't_ handle it.

Right?

Many thanks!

That pretty much summarises the thread. But you missed one thing. It's been agreed that "cut the mustard" is acceptable usage. Pual Brian's excellent site also has this entry under 'non-errors' http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/nonerrors.html#mustard

And I hope DGFan was joking because where I come from 'cut the cheese' means something completely different. As in, 'Eeeeeeeuw!! Foul!! Did somebody just cut the cheese? i.e. fart

i_b_joshua

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.