Does the iMac 27" 2017 backlight flicker?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by user1234, Jun 28, 2017.

1. user1234 macrumors regular

user1234

Hello fellow Mac users,

I'm sensitive to flickering backlights in computer monitors. This flicker tends to give me migraines.

Can you guys help me figure out if the new 27" iMacs have any flicker? It would suck to buy one of these and then not being able do use it due to migraines.

The way to do this is to point a camera at the display and record video, and cycle thought all the brightness settings. If there is flicker, it should be visible in the video. The best thing is to use a camera where shutter speed can be set, and try at different shutter speeds like 1/30, 1/60, 1/120, 1/240.

No need to upload the video if you don't want to, just let me know if you found any flicker or if it was rock solid.

Your help would be greatly appreciated,

2. Moriarty macrumors 6502

I couldn't see anything at 240 fps, although the minimum screen brightness is too dim for such slow motion video so I can't make any guarantees. I do remember reading a review of the 2015 5K model that did not detect PWM. The low minimum brightness is something else you might appreciate – it's really low. Quite comfortable for reading text in a very dimly lit room.

You can always return it within 2 weeks if it does cause problems...

3. user1234 thread starter macrumors regular

user1234

Thank you! If it's not using PWM it won't be an issue. Any confirmation of that would be great.

And sure I can return within 2 weeks, but I may have to sell my current Mac to free up funds to order the new one, which would be problematic if I would have to return it.