Does the iMac come with a mouse pad?

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
I was wondering if I am crazy and just missed it in the box, but my iMac did not come with a mouse pad. Every computer I have ever purchased has always came with one, and I was expect some cheap POS with Apple's name on it, but there is nothing to be found. Did I miss it?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I haven't gotten a mouse pad with a Mac in at least a decade, and I've bought a number of them. I'm not sure they've ever come with them, but certainly not in recent years.

The Menacer

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
All Apple branded mice are laser now, so there isn't a need for a mouse pad for it to work properly.
Not true... Only one Apple-branded mouse is a laser-based mouse (Wireless MM). Also, the mice do NOT work on white surfaces.

MrMoore

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
Arlington Heights,IL
I was wondering if I am crazy and just missed it in the box, but my iMac did not come with a mouse pad. Every computer I have ever purchased has always came with one, and I was expect some cheap POS with Apple's name on it, but there is nothing to be found. Did I miss it?
No, the last two Macs I have bought never came with mouse pad. I can't even remember the last time a PC came with one.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Plus the benefit of a mouse pad is not just to help the mouse work properly - it can protect the surface of the table/desk you are using it on. My desk at home has a clear worn patch where I use the mouse.

Anyway - I have never received a mouse pad when buying an Apple computer

nickf

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2007
I have been purchasing Macs since 1990 - none have ever come with a mouse pad (- Apple stickers, yes :))

edit - just noticed that the poster above me may also be a fellow Cornishman ;)

je1ani

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Mighty Mice don't work on white surfaces? No wonder mine occasionally skips lol Thanks for the heads up

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
People still use mouse pad's????
I can't remember the last time I used one.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
I had to get a mouse pad too because the mighty mouse would screw up and jump to the side of my screen because of the the faux wood grain of my desk.

sportsnut

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2007
Michigan
Sarcasm On
Hmmm, is the lack of a mouse pad in the box the biggest issue with your iMac experience? :eek:

sarcasm off

btallada9870

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
I have just a regular laser mouse. Are apples and that kind of mouse different because mine works fine on a white surface.

iMartini

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
Seattle, USA
Mighty Mice don't work on white surfaces? No wonder mine occasionally skips lol Thanks for the heads up
I think it depends more on the texture of the surface than the color. If your desk is glass or otherwise has a glossy or reflective finish with no underlying texture, an optical or laser mouse will have a hard time tracking and you'll probably need a mouse pad.

If your desk has more of a matte finish or has some sort of texture (i.e., wood), you should be fine without a pad.

raskil

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
Not for decades

Apple resellers often include a mouse pad in the box but Apple haven't had mouse pads since the days of PPC Performa. I remember having an old Mac Classic mouse pad. I do like the addition of the black lint free polishing cloth that comes with the new iMac.

Unless you have a desk with a glossy or glass surface you should have no trouble using an optical mouse. Mouse Pads are now just extraneous advertising.

Cheers:apple:

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Simple - if Apple gave us mousepads instead of making X on each computer they would make X - Pm (Pm = price of mousepad); X - Pm < X --> simple economics!! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.