Does the iMac come with a mouse pad?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by theanimala, Oct 25, 2007.

1. theanimala macrumors 6502

I was wondering if I am crazy and just missed it in the box, but my iMac did not come with a mouse pad. Every computer I have ever purchased has always came with one, and I was expect some cheap POS with Apple's name on it, but there is nothing to be found. Did I miss it?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I haven't gotten a mouse pad with a Mac in at least a decade, and I've bought a number of them. I'm not sure they've ever come with them, but certainly not in recent years.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

All Apple branded mice are laser now, so there isn't a need for a mouse pad for it to work properly.

4. The Menacer macrumors member

Not true... Only one Apple-branded mouse is a laser-based mouse (Wireless MM). Also, the mice do NOT work on white surfaces.

5. MrMoore macrumors 6502

No, the last two Macs I have bought never came with mouse pad. I can't even remember the last time a PC came with one.

6. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Plus the benefit of a mouse pad is not just to help the mouse work properly - it can protect the surface of the table/desk you are using it on. My desk at home has a clear worn patch where I use the mouse.

Anyway - I have never received a mouse pad when buying an Apple computer

7. nickf macrumors member

I have been purchasing Macs since 1990 - none have ever come with a mouse pad (- Apple stickers, yes :))

edit - just noticed that the poster above me may also be a fellow Cornishman ;)

8. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Certainly am :)

9. s e 7 e n macrumors newbie

10. je1ani macrumors 6502

Mighty Mice don't work on white surfaces? No wonder mine occasionally skips lol Thanks for the heads up

11. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

People still use mouse pad's????
    I can't remember the last time I used one.

12. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I had to get a mouse pad too because the mighty mouse would screw up and jump to the side of my screen because of the the faux wood grain of my desk.

13. sportsnut macrumors regular

Sarcasm On
    Hmmm, is the lack of a mouse pad in the box the biggest issue with your iMac experience? :eek:

sarcasm off

14. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

All Apple branded mice are laser (both the wired and wireless). I have no idea where you got the idea that they weren't from.

15. btallada9870 macrumors member

I have just a regular laser mouse. Are apples and that kind of mouse different because mine works fine on a white surface.

16. iMartini macrumors member

I think it depends more on the texture of the surface than the color. If your desk is glass or otherwise has a glossy or reflective finish with no underlying texture, an optical or laser mouse will have a hard time tracking and you'll probably need a mouse pad.

If your desk has more of a matte finish or has some sort of texture (i.e., wood), you should be fine without a pad.

17. deviant macrumors 65816

Wired MM is NOT laser.Info from apple.com store.

18. idesign245 macrumors 6502

Straight from Apples site, the wired mighty mouse is optical.

http://www.apple.com/ca/mightymouse/specs.html

19. raskil macrumors newbie

Not for decades

Apple resellers often include a mouse pad in the box but Apple haven't had mouse pads since the days of PPC Performa. I remember having an old Mac Classic mouse pad. I do like the addition of the black lint free polishing cloth that comes with the new iMac.

Unless you have a desk with a glossy or glass surface you should have no trouble using an optical mouse. Mouse Pads are now just extraneous advertising.

Cheers:apple:

20. Leon Kowalski macrumors 6502a

Leon Kowalski

Shoulda bought from smalldog.com. Their highly trained system integration technicians have a very effective remedy for Apple's chronic pad-deficiency defect.

...expertly pre-installed, at no additional cost,

LK

21. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Simple - if Apple gave us mousepads instead of making X on each computer they would make X - Pm (Pm = price of mousepad); X - Pm < X --> simple economics!! :p

22. Leon Kowalski macrumors 6502a

Leon Kowalski

Steve's VP For Ridiculously Fancy Packaging musta cut class that day, huh?

LK