Does the imac have backlight, or brightness control??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bluedoggiant, Jan 13, 2008.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Ok, im right here with my 24 inch iMac screen res at low, and i cant stand it, i cant really see what im typing because my colorvision spyder2pro thing is on my screen, its asking me if the imac has a brightness setting or backlight setting or both. the imac says brightness, but could this mean backlight too? thats what it says in the program, so should i say that the imac has backlight, or say it has brightness, or it has both? also, can you control the kelvin and rgb stuff on the imac?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Brighness = backlight

There is no Contrast setting because Mac displays have them on ideal contrast level.

If you don't know anything about color temperature (xxxx kelvin, etc.) and color space (rgb, srgb, etc), then you should read the manual that comes with your calibrator or google.

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

second that, all macs have contrast in the accessibility panel ;)

but does the imac allow you to change the kelvin and rgb and stuff?

EDIT: i dont think the imac allows you to play with the rgb stuff, the imac has kelvin presets in the calibration setup in system preferences

4. dtancu macrumors newbie

First of all, brightness and backlight are two completely different things.
    Backlight varies the power of the lamp behind the screen.
    Brightness varies the tint of the colors (it brightens/darkens the colors).

Secondly, there IS contrast adjustment on iMac.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That contrast adjustment is for handicapped people who cannot see well, that's by no means meant for most people.

In this case in case you don't know, Colorvision Spyder is a monitor calibration device, so the person seems to not know how to calibrate a screen, although the posting is quite unclear on what is the problem, and what is the desired solution:

is it the definition of brightness?
    is it how to calibrate screens?
    is it how to view text larger?
    is it the basics of how to work in a color calibrated environment?

unclear...

6. mojave08 macrumors newbie

calibration advice

i'm piggy-backing off this post because i have the same question but beyond that i know my problem and desired solution.

The question is do these machines have back light? Its my understanding that all LCD's do but i'm not sure if there is an adjustment or if there even should be 1.

I am currently on my 27" iMac but i need to calibrate other Mac monitors, all 30" Cinema displays all connected to Mac Pros

the problem is color variations between my video editors in the edit suits and my production designers, Art Director and creative director.

the solution i need is to even those machines out so they are all seeing the same thing.

I'm currently using the spyder3 Elite calibrator

any advice help on this will be greatly appreciated.

thanks