Does the Imac turn off automatically?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gelie, Aug 5, 2010.

1. gelie macrumors regular

I think my new imac just goes into sleep mode. Is this ok? Do i need to turn it off periodically?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I always sleep mine, there isn't really a need to shut it down unless it'll be unused for couple of days

3. blinkin182 macrumors regular

blinkin182

It would help if you would clarify.

Do you mean it just goes to sleep when you leave it alone or when you go to Apple Menu and choose "Shut Down"?

Many people rarely restart or turn off their computer and leave it in sleep mode. I personally believe that it helps to restart it from time to time, however I can leave it for days without restarting.

It also seems like new iMacs are pretty power efficient in sleep mode, so it also lessens the need to turn it off completely.

4. gelie thread starter macrumors regular

i plan on traveling for a couple of weeks. I wanted to use Air Share to watch downloaded movies. Is this a problem?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's not a problem to leave it on for a long period. I know a lot people who NEVER even sleep their computers, just leave them running so they can access them over the Internet

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

No should not be you could use an Application called Coffeine that will prevent your mac from going to sleep or y don't you just take an external harddrive put the movies on and turn the Imac off this way you will save Tons of Energy and are less likely to run into problems

7. blinkin182 macrumors regular

blinkin182

you can set your computer and display sleep preferences to "never" in system preferences -> energy saver

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

+1

Just watch your electricity bill. Don't be surprised if you come home and it's 2x as big as normal lol.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iMacs don't consume much when idling so that shouldn't be a problem. Sure you will see that in electricity bill but we aren't talking about huge difference.

10. rayward macrumors 68000

Under Preferences, you can change the energy saving options so that the CPU never sleeps. The screen will shut down, but the brain stays awake, which is all you'll need.