Does the iMac's come with shorter mighty mouse wire?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bbnck, Aug 5, 2009.

1. bbnck macrumors 6502

I bought a mighty mouse off eBay and the ones the seller was selling were the ones that are shipped with new iMac's. Brand new and all, but it has a really smaller cord length than the previous mighty mouse I've purchased from retail stores. Do iMac's ship with smaller mighty mouse cords?

2. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Whenever I've been in an Apple store, the cord on the Mighty Mouse always seems really short. I think they do it purposely to connect to the wired keyboard.

3. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

When the aluminium iMac came out, they all had shorter mouse cords than previously.

4. Jabbamk1 macrumors member

Jabbamk1

All the iMacs since late 2007 have shipped with short cord mice as it is easier to connect to the wired keyboard. Apple wants you to do this due to the limited amount of usb ports on the back.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Which in some cases isn't the best idea because sometimes the mouse acts all weird and is cured when connecting directly to the USB port. The other thing is Apple wants you to invest in a Wireless Mighty Mouse or buy their mouse with a longer wire. (The mouse with the longer wire is in the system for order...;))

6. Jabbamk1 macrumors member

Jabbamk1

yeah, i agree about that but i actually bought a wireless set without the short cord being a problem. I just wanted a wireless mouse.

I guess apple are trying to getthere users to upgrade. Especially with the number pad taken off the keyboard.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah, Apple is sly like that. It's the same thing for the keyboard as well. There is the same keyboard with longer cable available in the system too! Can't really blame Apple for trying to make money though even if it it cost them almost nothing to add a couple more inches to the cable.

8. farmermac macrumors 6502a

wish i could have gotten the bluetooth keyboard with the number pad..why doesnt apple make that one? you have to get the stubby if you want to go all cordless

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah, was not a fan of the clear plastic wireless keyboard. Wish Apple made the slim aluminum keyboard with bluetooth that had a number pad - Apple feels that majority of users don't need it...:rolleyes:

10. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Mine has a short cord, but came with a USB extension cable.

You might want to check on eBay for an extension cable.

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

12. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

All Apple mice since the Bondi iMac have had what looks to be three-foot cords, which is fine with me because there are USB ports on the keyboards.

The extension cords only come with the Mac Pro, AFAIK.

13. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

short cords are great in my opnion. i have a long cord at my work MacG5 and it is constantly getting circled and twisted.....never had that problem wiht my imac and mini-mouse cord. to me, it is an upgrade over a long "useless" cord.