Does the iMovieHD 5 work arround work?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Cox Orange, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Hello,

Problem description: in iMovie HD 5, the file size stays the same no matter how much you delete in your project and no matter if you empty the trash.

Solution:
    1. cut, edit, delete etc. all you want in your current project.
    2. save
    3. close project
    4. start a new project (without importing footage yet!)
    5. move the project window a bit to the side
    6. highlight your original projects icon and press ctrl+mouse-click, a menue opens, choose "show package content"
    7. go to the folder "cache", drag the file named "timeline" (its about 8kb big) to the project window of your new project and drop.
    8. the new project will now import only the data minus the before deleted files. It will "produce" a new .dv file in the media folder (footage folder). you can prove that by press-clicking ctrl+mouse-click on the new project icon -> show "package content", go to "media" and "cache" you will find the timeline file and a .dv file called "timeline.dv" in the media folder (which will be smaller in size than the uncut footage/project).

My experience: it works

My question: is this really a proof way? Will we have a 1:1 copy of the DV-file minus the deleted parts? Will the data not be corrupted? Will the timecode (with audio) be totally intact?
    I do not have those tools you might need to check if everything is ok, I can just tell from the eye that it seems to be alright.

What do you say?

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

You’ve bumped this quite a few times with no response.

I’m not sure what exactly you are looking for in terms of an answer as you seem to have answered it yourself saying that the file seems to be alright.

I think I am correct in saying that iMovie 6 does not have this problem but we are now on iMovie ’11 and I doubt anyone is still running iMovie 5 on their macs in this forum.

If it is such an issue buy some more hard drive space or upgrade your software to something that gives you more control.

3. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

Since I find this such a great forum I thought there must be someone who really has an answer (like always elsewhen)
    I thought there is something one can not see by just watching the preview screen of iMovie, but which will later be a problem, when the project is finished. I first want to save my VHS cassettes and at the time do not have a possibility to prove whether the finished files are all right on TV later (just have the Macs own screen, ibook)

Yes, iMovie 6 does not have the problem, but I do have to get a copy of it first. I will wait for it on Ebay. (I found a online ressource, but am not sure, whether it is trustworthy http://www.filecrop.com/iMovieHD6.dmg.html)
    Since there are so many people recommending PowerMac G4s to people in the forum ( I have mine from 10 and 5 years ago, when I bought them new) and telling how much you can still do with PowerPC Macs, most of them use old software, too. iMovie 6 was the last one to run on PowerPCs
    Why should I built a new home for trash instead of giving the trash away, when the binman comes around. In other words, why waste space if it is not needed (and you may not want to buy new space for ever and ever again).
    So upgrading software is the most appealing way to go for me, but I got to find it first.

Thank you, though.