Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrightc23

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
HD3000 gaming performance is awful. This is not really debatable.

For those of you linking the Anand benchmarks to support the claim that the HD3000 is "on par" with the old 320M, please note that it is important to differentiate between CPU-heavy and GPU-heavy tasks when making this determination. Case in point:

34983.png

On low settings, the quad-core + HD3000 outpaces the old MBP13. This is because the shader utilization on low settings is so minimal that the GPU is not the performance bottleneck. Contrast this with medium settings, where shader usage increases considerably (at least in SCII; other games will be different):

34990.png

Is the 3-year old C2D is beating up on the new Sandy Bridge quad core? No. This situation is GPU-bottlenecked, and demonstrates the utter inadequacy of Intel's integrated graphics in running even mainstream games at decent image quality settings and playable framerates.

Remember that these are average framerates; ideally you want your *minimums* to be in the 30fps area to maintain smooth gameplay, which is why averages of 60+ fps are desirable.

Look I appreciate the frustration but what are Apple supposed to do in this situation? Carry out a full redesign of their 13" notebook midway through it's product cycle to accomodate 0.1% of it's target base? Bottom line is that for most users the HD 3000 is fine and they'll benefit from substantially faster processor. It'll run all your software, play HD, run your graphic design software, even play some games on base settings. Looking at the benchmarks, the HD 3000 is behind the 320 and probably just the 9400 as well but it's more than enough for a small, lightweight 13" that's bordering on an ultraportable.

The Core 2 is way behind Sandy Bridge, add to that it's right at the end of it's lifespan. The Core 2 architecture is now 5 years old. As much as we'd all love the 320 in the i5 it isn't an option so I don't blame Apple for finally biting the bullet and switching. I assume they now consider the performance of the HD 3000 to be close enough to the 320 for most of their buyers and a big bonus of Sandy Bridge. Not ideal but hardly a disaster. Last year Apple received a huge amount of criticism for doing the opposite.

I've currently got both the 2010 and 2011 models sat in front of me and the 2011 feels quite a bit quicker.

For gamers it's a big let down, you probably are limited to playing games in base settings. For me, well I rarely play games. I'm running photoshop and some virtualisation tools and the 2011 model wins hands down.

Perhaps the truth is that the history of the Macbook and Macbook Pro 13" have always had fairly weak integrated graphics. They clearly aren't aimed at gamers. Hopefully next year we'll get a complete redesign with an even more powerful Intel HD or even better a dedicated card.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Aslong as apple releases teh api`s so third parties (plex/xbmc) can enable hw acceleration, im fine with their choise. For gaming there is allways the 15/17 incher. Due to the crap resolution on the 13 incher, Im considering one of those anyways, although Id much rather have 13" due to overall size.

bokorugro

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
Opinions

This thread seems dead, but since it came up first in searches about HD 3000, I thought I post a few things about the card.

The main issue with HD 3000, is not really the performance, but the compatibility. I don't really play on my 13" Pro, but I've tried out a few games, and almost none of them worked. I don't say it's all the HD 3000, but there's a high chance.

Recently tried:
Civilisation V: did NOT work properly, half the things were invisile in the screen, like menus, and such.
Modern Combat: Domination : Exits after about 5-10 minutes of flawless gameplay, and beautiful graphics ( developers are working on a patch, as far as I know)
Trine: Not a very GPU-demanding game, no lag, but half of the screen is black, or extremely dark.

Both of these games are unplayable, which is a bit depressing, and I am afraid of buying ANY games from the App Store, since it's just like burning money. I think there should be a compatibilty test with these performance games. Anyway, lots of games' description states the compatible cards, and a few says a few things about HD 3000 also. I haven't tried such, but might give a try later.

Gamers shouldn't buy an HD 3000 machine! By the way Ableton Live with 14 16bit tracks, and countless effects runs extremely smoothly with the internal soundcard, and thats really impressive. No lag, no skips, no glitches. I rarely use my external card for messing around with Live, because the machine handles it so well!

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Intel 3000HD Overclock

Is it Possible? and if yes how?

I Know OS X doesn't have any way to overclock but what about Windows 7?

Cheers

macDelirium

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Short answer: not at all.

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
I'm guessing StarCraft II is a little more demanding in terms of graphics, so would it still be running okay on the new graphics? If I think about it, it would probably run better on low settings and worse on medium settings in comparison with the 2010 MBP?

I actually had a post about this yesterday. The game is optimized for intel HD graphics cards, so it will run better. Personally, when I'm in campaign mode, I can run everything on high, and it plays just fine. Sure the fans whirr like a beast, but that's expected with a MacBook lol. As far as online play goes, medium works pretty well for me.

ess5

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2011
^^ That's actually a relief to hear...I'm picking up the new MBA (whenever they get around to releasing it), and, well...I'd like to be realistic about my gaming options on the thing. I don't wanna run Crysis, but I might wanna play WoW or SC2 on it, and I'd be disappointed if I couldn't run either on at least medium settings.

As long as that's where my expectations are, I take it I won't be severely disappointed?

Also, what about indie Steam games? Any other horror stories (like the previous Trine one), or maybe a list of games that actually run well?

r0bin

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
Hi
I also have a question about the video cards required for the sims 3.
I also have a Intel HD 3000 in my macbook, but on the site of the sims 3 it says this:

MAC OS X Supported Video Cards
NVIDIA GeForce series

7300, 7600
8600, 8800
9400M, 9600M GT
GT 120, GT 130

ATI Radeon™ series

X1600, X1900
2400, 2600
4850, 4870

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA)

GMA 3-Series

Is this video card enough for the sims 3? cause i just dont get it :p

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
no, it doesn't suck. it has a decent benchmark and allowed for much faster processors. for that reason alone is where the appeal comes from. an average user utilizing cpu intensive tasks does not need more than the hd 3000.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Aslong as apple releases teh api`s so third parties (plex/xbmc) can enable hw acceleration, im fine with their choise.

The updated framework supports it.

Apple said:
"This reference describes the Video Decode Acceleration framework available on Mac OS X v10.6.3 and later with Mac models equipped with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 320M, GeForce GT 330M, ATI HD Radeon GFX, Intel HD Graphics and others."

fattire357

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
It seems reasonable to assume to that your new MBP just can't play games... if you really need that then don't get a 13" 2011 MBP.

It is a little frustrating though when Apple Store employees tell ya their graphics chips are faster in the 2011 MBP...

dsio

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Australia
It seems reasonable to assume to that your new MBP just can't play games... if you really need that then don't get a 13" 2011 MBP.

It is a little frustrating though when Apple Store employees tell ya their graphics chips are faster in the 2011 MBP...

Just spent the whole weekend playing games on one, including Wings of Liberty and Cataclysm...

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010

Sorry but I have to disagree on your opinion regarding this Topic!

I just played call of duty (modern warfare and call of duty 4,fear 3,counterstrike source,starcraft II, Crysis and it works perfectly fine (most games on medium to high settings apart from crysis). Some games were played on Mac and some on Windows.

Even though I am hooked up to a 23inch screen. The Card is as bad as most people put it, I used to have a Macbook with a 128mb Graphics card (intel as well) and it worked ok.

Also if you expand your Ram to 8GB the Graphics VRam increases to 512MB which makes everything even smoother and shaders get better too.

Cheers

topguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
What people just don't get...

The Intel HD 3000 may be integrated and all, but IT SUCKS! If you get a computer, and want to be perfectly safe and take no risk at all, get this graphics card. Your computer is ruined at the spot. Intel HD 3000 doesn't overheat at all since it doesn't even work. It doesn't even TRY. Get Nvidia. Or AMD if you are money short. Those are good graphics cards.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
The Intel HD 3000 may be integrated and all, but IT SUCKS! If you get a computer, and want to be perfectly safe and take no risk at all, get this graphics card. Your computer is ruined at the spot. Intel HD 3000 doesn't overheat at all since it doesn't even work. It doesn't even TRY. Get Nvidia. Or AMD if you are money short. Those are good graphics cards.

That lazy bastard doesnt even try.

Also why resurrect such an old thread?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.