Does the iPad 2's proximity sensor work with 3rd party covers?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by IcyStorm, Mar 24, 2011.

1. IcyStorm macrumors regular

I chose a third party cover/case over the Smart Cover, but I noticed the fancy unlock/lock thing didn't work with this case. Is that a feature of the Smart Cover?

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The case has to have a magnet in the right location to trigger the switch. It's a magnetic switch like on the Macbooks, not a proximity sensor like on the iPhone.

There are third party cases that have this feature, and probably will be a lot more in the future.

3. IcyStorm thread starter macrumors regular

Gotcha; thanks for the quick reply. Guess I'll be picking up a new case later.

4. scwatkins77 macrumors newbie

Yes, it is. The Smart Cover that Apple manufactures uses magnets to attach to the iPad 2 and activate a special sleep/wake switch (differernt from the button at top that you press). There are magnets imbedded into the cover which allign with magnets inside the iPad 2 itself.

For a 3rd-party case to work the iPad's lock/unlock magnetic switch, it will need to have it's own built in magnet in the proper location to trigger that switch. I've heard that a few companies are starting to implement those magnets into their own cases, but I couldnt tell you which ones.

5. keikinalu, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

keikinalu macrumors newbie

Easy to mod, depending on case

I bought this case online http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=013M9A2TTZS8E9AG0198

Stuck a slim, small magnet with tape in the inside pocket, that i picked up from a craft store.

Auto switch enabled!

Make sure you try different magnets strengths. Too week and it doesn't turn off. Too strong and when your cover is opened and folded back, the sensor can still be switched.