All iPads Does the iPad Air thin glass actually make the display look better?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, Nov 2, 2013.

1. bobright macrumors 601

I am coming over from an iPad 3rd gen. Is it just me or does the screen kind of "pop" more and look sharper due to the thin glass. It's the same resolution as the 3 but if you look at them side by side it looks better to me. The iPad 3 is buried in thick glass while the Air display is right nearly at your fingertips. It's either that or my iPad 3 screen quality just degraded over time. :p lol

2. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

It very well might just be perception but it looks like less distance between the glass and the screen which knocks off some of the slight reflections and also just appears to make it pop more.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I just compared a 3rd gen with the iPad Air. Nothing jumped out at me, other than what the previous poster said, i.e. the glass is less thick. Both screens are excellent.

3rd gen feels much heavier, it's quite noticeable.

4. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

Yes it does. Placing two pieces of glass closer together and reducing thickness does two things optically: it reduces reflections (inaccurate lay referred to as glare) and it allows more light to pass through the glass display. Because there is less glass between your eyes and the light it will appear that the images are right on top of the glass, rather than beneath it.

These may be subtle improvements, but they are improvements nonetheless.