Does the iPad crash when almost full memory?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Jul 9, 2011.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

When the memory gets almost full does it cause the likes of Safari to lock up and crash?

2. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

It will close some apps to free up RAM, or clear some pages in Safari, again freeing up RAM; iOS automatically does this - it will do whatever it can to keep the app that you're on stable.

3. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

So can best to maybe delete cookies now and again maybe having too many favourites is no good either?

Do some apps stay open even if you click out them?

4. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

iPad 1 is very susceptible to this issue, especially when viewing Youtube videos. Once you get low on memory (specifically down to between 5 and 10megs), the app will simply close.

You can view your available memory by jailbreaking your ipad and loading SBSettings. At the top of your screen next to the time you can display available memory.

Best suggestion is to upgrade to the iPad2 if this is a serious issue.

5. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    You can view available memory without a JB thru XSysInfo, as well as free up
    memory.

6. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Clearing cookies / favourites will make no difference. Clearing the cache may; however, the cache may be located in the HD, in which case it won't.

What I find is if Safari is lagging a bit, it's because of other apps in the background - simply close them. Apple has, I think, improved their algorithm in iOS 5, so apps will be cleared when the foreground app becomes laggy - not when the foreground app becomes nearly unstable.

If you close them from the multitasking dock, then they will be completely cleared from RAM.

7. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I do have an IPad 2 it happens with 1.5GB free! :eek:

8. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I never knew this.

Got about 50 apps open. :eek:

9. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

def not normal!!

10. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I will see how it goes with all the apps closed.

I found I had about 50 open.

Just realised you have to manually close them.

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

This was never the case with the iPad 1 until 4.3.3 came out for me. My iPad used to work almost at double the speed before 4.3.3 but now it keeps on crashing. The best performance was on 3.2 when there was no multitasking... maybe I will just downgrade.

12. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

How long has that been out? I'm sure I updated not long after buying IPad 2 only had IPad one a month.

Just checked only one multitasking app running settings, three windows and it locked up in Safari the tool bar was hanging on a website not moving. Had to switch off and on.

It's usually worse if I type quick or change windows quick just slow. It's doing it every day. Never use to that's why I think maybe I have too many apps and music on it maybe?

13. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

No iPad has 1.5 GB of memory. I think you are confusing storage space with memory. The amount of storage space you have left has nothing to do with apps or the iPad crashing. The iPad has 256 MB of memory and the iPad 2 has 512 MB.

14. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

15. Mr.C macrumors 601

Was about to post the same thing but you beat me to it.

Apps that are running use the RAM of which there is 512MB in the iPad 2 and 256MB in the original iPad. This is separate and independent of the the internal flash drive storage.

The principal is the same as a regular computer. The more apps and processes there are running the more RAM is used. The more RAM that is used the slower the iPAD or computer is.

16. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

So what could be wrong?

Maybe it is the apps could see how it goes from now.

Gets annoying all these crashes. Maybe Ios5 will fix it?

17. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Any more solutions?

It's not freezing as much since closing apps but it locked up once with the loading Internet bar up by the wifi one.

18. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Been all afternoon doing a full restore of the iPad.

Still Safari Crashes or better a better way to put it is lock up as when I have multiple windows open and switch quickly it locks up. I goggled it and found issues going back to the release of the IPad 2.

Looks like I need to use an alternative browser until I see if it goes away with Ios5. :eek: