does the ipad have separate audio channels?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by steve knight, Jul 29, 2011.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

my wife is blind and it is impractical to stream audio from her iphone as voiceover goes out too and it is delayed. So can someone tell me if they turn on voiceover can they stream audio to an external source and voiceover still came through the ipad speakers?

2. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

what no one can turn on voiceover and tell me this?

3. Struan macrumors newbie

Struan

Steve I just tried this with my iPad and an aging sony BOOMBOX (if it ain't broke, don't spend it). I could not find a way to seperate out Voiceover and the external feed. I am not knowledgable enough to know if there is an app for this, but felt you at least deserved a response.

Stru

(And for what it is worth, first post on Macrumors)

4. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

I was afraid of that it's the same with the iphone. she wants to stream pandora and so far her mac mini is the best bet for it. But sometimes except for typing her iphone is easier to get around on. voicever causes enough crashes on her mini it can drive her nuts. so far lion has caused more problems for her.

5. Struan macrumors newbie

Struan

Steve, randomaly I came across the following. I have no idea what most of this means, but it might be of help to you. Looks like a solution that would be easy to test: http://the-modern-dj.blogspot.com/2010/12/cueing-on-ipad-dj-apps.html

It appears to split the stereo channel into two mono channels for music queing. Then using a mono to stereo splitter (radioshack) you might get what you are after.

Good luck...

Stru

6. jcmeyer5 macrumors 6502

I haven't a clue if this will work... But have you considered using AirPlay for Pandora, while using the iPad for other apps? I don't even know if Pandora does AirPlay. I thought of this because I can AirPlay shows via AirVideo to my AppleTV 2, minimize, and do other things that use the sound locally (on iPad).

Might not work. Might be worth a look though.

7. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes you can use airplay with pandora and that's what I am after. but the problem is the voiceover voice goes over airplay too and it is delayed 20 or 30 seconds. so it is almost impossible to do anything once you have airplay going. this does not happen on a mini.