Does the iPad need to be synced anymore?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Osarkon, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Probably a daft question, but I've never really taken much notice of the iPad up until now.

Can it now function completely independently of another computer? It pretty much does everything I do on a daily basis, and I'm looking at replacing my aging macbook with one.

The only caveat I'm up against is whether it asks to be connected to iTunes for the initial setup - I'm aware updates are now OTA so that should sort that side of things out!

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yes, all new iOS devices don't need a computer to setup and sync. Other than the initial sync when you load all the stuff onto the device so it can sync for the first time to iCloud.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You do not need to connect to iTunes to activate. All iOS devices are like this now.

I haven't had to sync mine yet, and you can even back up to iCloud if your so inclined.

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

you still need your computer (iTunes) present to sync your music and movies if you have smart playlists that update automatically...

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Why do you still need your computer after the initial sync? If you buy your movies and music through iTunes instead of ripping or pirating, there's no need for a computer at all.

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i have an iTunes library of almost 2TB. obviously i cannot store all of my media at one time on any iOS device. i have several playlists for both music and movies that update once i play a particular song or watch a movie. that way everything is "fresh" on my devices.

7. oli356 macrumors 6502

Because not everyone buys their stuff from iTunes. I probably have like 50 songs from iTunes compared to the 1000+ from CDs etc..

8. Osarkon thread starter macrumors 68020

Osarkon

There'd be nothing on my macbook being carried across to the iPad, it would be a completely fresh machine anyway.

The only thing I might do is get a wireless external hard drive and throw everything on there to keep some form of storage, but really I don't need it. :)