Does the iPad ok for...?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shahrezsyed, Dec 10, 2011.

1. shahrezsyed macrumors regular

Well...my grandmother wanted something to keep in touch with the family, etc as in all she's going to do is Facebook, Skype and weather.com. I was going to get her an hp i3 laptop but then I tought why not the ipad2? It is the simplest to use with sufficient Power. What do you guys suggest?

2. Onimusha370, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

A 16gb ipad 2 sounds ideal :)
    if you wanted to, it might be worth waiting a few months till the iPad 3 is out, and then get the 2 at a reduced price, or get a refurb now, seeing as they've just cut the prices further.

3. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I'd say get a refurb iPad 2 for $419. If it somehow is not ok, than you can return it within a store's return policy.

4. shahrezsyed thread starter macrumors regular

5. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

My personal feeling is she may have a hard time typing on an iPad 2. I don't know how old your grandmother is, but my mother struggles with the touch screen typing on her iPhone. I have attempted, on a couple of occasions, to introduce her to the iPad, to see if it would be something that would interest her, but with no luck. She just can't master the touch screen typing, resizing, gestures, etc. She plods along one letter at a time, with the help of a stylus, the rare times she tries to type on the phone.

Something that is "the simplest" for you and I, may not be the simplest for your grandmother to use. My mother prefers her MBP and iMac, and your grandmother may prefer something along the lines of the HP i3. Talk to her a little and try to gauge her feelings about a tablet.

It is an awesome gift to give her, but by the same token, you don't wan't it to be something that may be frustrating for her as well. I know my mother would just get frustrated, and not use it.

You know your grandmother better than any of us do.

6. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

If typing becomes a problem you can get a Bluetooth keyboard. I have the Apple one and it works really well.

7. Akack macrumors 6502a

8. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
  9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

My mother has similar uses and uses the iPad as her only computer. I'd say this is a good buy for your grandmother. Though, my mother also has an iPhone... don't ask why because I could never figure it out myself.

11. iWord macrumors newbie

iWord

12. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

I think it would be wonderful. I'd also go the refurb route. If she has difficulty learning to use they virtual key board, then get her the bluetooth keyboard case for Mother's Day!!

13. matt90036 macrumors regular

by far, iPad will be so much easier to learn for elderly people than any other computer. Skype app is a bit annoying but still the overall experience will be much easier than on a computer.