All iPads Does the iPad really need a "lock screen"?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bobby Corwen, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

If I think about my laptop having a lock screen, it would be silly right?

On a phone it makes sense.

But the iPad is more of a content consumption tool like the laptop than a portable that is with you wherever you go.

Does anyone else think it would be cool to have the option to forego it and just have it wake straight to the home desktop?

I know there are notifications on the lock screen but there is still notifications center.

2. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

My laptop and desktops have 'lock screen'. If you don't like that on your iPad get a smart case and turn off your passcode (if you don't care about security).

3. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Exactly, the smart cover (smartly) does the same thing.

We should be able to have the smart cover behavior, but using the home button, --as an option in settings.

This is because sometimes the iPad is just there next to us as an auxiliary "screen" and we haven't shut the flap, all it did was sleep to lock screen to save batt.

So in this case it would be a time saving feature.

4. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

No. It's a great idea and my lap top does have one. It's a matter of security. Not sure what your point is.

5. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

He thinks swiping to unlock takes too long, although Touch ID will remedy this.

6. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I would certainly recommend everyone use the passcode on all mobile devices, including the iPad and mini.

I use my rMini for work, and they force the use of a long password (at least 6 characters), and instant lock, so that makes it a bit of a pain. I wish I had TouchID for that, that would make it much quicker.

7. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

All of my devices, including computers, use a lock screen or password to access.

8. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I can see your point. If you leave your iPad in your house all the time, you may not be concerned about security.

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Since I leave my iPad at home all the time, I don't need a lock screen. That being said, I know alot of people use their iPads for work where a lock screen make sense.

10. matttye macrumors 601

TouchID on the iPhone does what you're asking for already, if you only need it to work for you.

Ie. you press the home button and leave your finger there for <1 second and it automatically unlocks to the home screen.

If you need it to work for others then you'd need to register their prints or they'd have to unlock with a passcode/password.

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

It's not just security from others.

It's security from your own inadvertent touches when you're carrying the device and don't realize that it's turned on.

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Good point. Keeps you from accidentally hitting the screen and launching apps etc.

13. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah but you have the option to have a lock screen on a computer.

The equivalent is having your screen saver password protected on a laptop.

But again, thats an option that you can turn on or off based on how you use the device.

I would like the option to set it like I would on my laptop. Especially on the upcoming iPad pro.

I guess Touch ID will help with this. But even that is less convenient and immediate. Its gotta be the right finger and there is a slight delay sometimes while it registers.

14. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

It certainly does!

Go and have a look on Apples iPad business profiles section http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/profiles/ at how many business use iPad, it is very impressive! Business data is often sensitive and should be protected in some way, heck even somebodies email contains sensitive information.

I suspect this is a case of, "well if I don't think it is necessary, then Apple must have made a mistake."

15. matttye macrumors 601

If you turn on 'reduce motion' in the accessibility settings it's pretty instantaneous to unlock using TouchID.

16. Bobby Corwen, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Security has nothing to do with any of this.

I was saying to have it as an option. Anyone who is living with people and business organizations would have it locked with passcode.

It does not apply because Im saying it should be an option in settings.

Wow that does made a difference but also changes the whole system. It should always be that fast by default. Or have the option to only make Touch ID animation simpler, not the whole phone.

Neat feature tho, I didn't know about it thanks.

Still would be better to just have it instant wake for utility situations. Kind of like on a lap top where you just click the mouse or any button for it to wake.

17. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Wow that makes a huge difference with everything you do on the phone!

18. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Touch id + iOS 8 encryption + health kit = hell of a medical data management device.

19. MacTCE macrumors 6502

I personally want a lock screen on all of my devices just for security purposes. With the TouchID coming to iPad it would seem a waste not to.