Does the iPad support "over the air" sync with Exchange Calendar/Contacts?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by devriesp12, Mar 12, 2010.

1. devriesp12 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone-

I know that the iPad is going to support MS Exchange for email (as shown on the recently updated iPad features pages). However, one thing that concerns me is that there is no mention about Exchange Active Sync support for Calendar or Contacts.

I had assumed that since Active Sync works for the iPhone, it wouldn't be an issue, until I read the details on the iPad Calendar page. On that page, it specifically says "Connect your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to your computer, and iTunes can sync every meeting, event, birthday, appointment, and reminder in every calendar application you use: iCal, MobileMe, Google, Microsoft Outlook, AOL, and more. MobileMe syncs everything, too — and it all happens wirelessly and automatically."

It sounds like you need to connect your iPad to your computer and that it Active Sync won't work. In my case, I connect my iPhone to my work MS Exchange server to sync email, calendar, and contacts. However, I physically sync my iPhone to my home iMac (for music, movies, photos, etc.). My iMac Mail account is connected to my MobileMe account - not to my Exchange account.

I know I could set up multiple calendars/accounts, but was hoping to just sync calendar and contacts "over the air" with Exchange with my iPad. Sounds like that may not be possible.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? :confused:

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It is interesting that Exchange support is mentioned for e-mail but not for contacts and calendars. In fact, the section on Contacts is pretty clear:

iTunes makes sure all your contacts are up to date, everywhere you check them. Connect your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to your computer, and iTunes can sync every contact you have, so every address book you use is a perfect match. Or use MobileMe and sync your contacts wirelessly and automatically.

I wonder if Microsoft decided they weren't going to license Exchange ActiveSync to Apple for the iPad: Exchange support in Email is certainly not the same as Exchange ActiveSync and it could well be that there is no OTA synchronisation for Contact and Calendars via Exchange

3. technokoz macrumors newbie

Does the iPad support "over the air" sync with Exchange Calendar/Contacts?

The situation does look a little fuzzy when it comes to Exchange Activesync, but you can rest assure that there will definately be the same exchange sync support that is currnetly in the iPhone 3G / iPod Touch.

Here is a link to iPhone Activesync issues

4. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

I agree. It's the same OS - anything that they take the time to disable or remove, they'd have to have a really good reason to go to all the trouble.