Does the iPad2 WiFi + 3G have a GPS chip?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Breaking Good, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm extremely embarrassed to be asking this quesstion considering everything I've written recently complaining about how the iPad Mini WiFi doesn't have GPS.

So I went to Apple's Web site to look at the specs. on the new iPad Mini as compared to the iPad 4 and iPad 2. While perusing through I discovered that the iPad 2 WiFi + 3G model is not listed as having GPS.

I must admit this came as a shock to me. I thought the iPad 2 WiFi + 3G had GPS. However, Apples Web site says it does not.

Does anybody have any comments about this?

I must admit I am really embarrassed about this as I thought that it did when I purchased my Verizon model iPad 2 WiFi + 3G. In fact, the primary reason I purchased it was to get the GPS.

Thank you.

2. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

3. poloponies Suspended

Apple's web site most certainly lists GPS as a feature of the iPad2 with 3G (you need to look at the Tech Specs page for detailed features):

Wi-Fi
    Digital compass
    Assisted GPS
    Cellular

4. Breaking Good thread starter macrumors 6502a

Could you provide a link?

I've looked over the Tech Specs and I don't see it listed. It is not in the "Wireless and Cellular" section of the Tech Specs.

5. poloponies Suspended

You are correct that it's not in "Wireless and Cellular", it is lower down the page under "Location":

http://www.apple.com/ipad/ipad-2/specs.html

6. webb70 macrumors newbie

7. poloponies Suspended

Did you duct-tape a Garmin to it?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those in fact don't. They physically lack the needed microchip to be able to receive any kind of satellite signal.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Only if it also has 3G. Else it uses location services (via IP address)

10. webb70 macrumors newbie

Please explain the difference as I used it to get me to Atlantic City and back?

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It used its cached WiFi location database to track itself as it saw a WiFi network. Or you tethered it to your iPhone and that provided GPS coordinates through Bluetooth. The WiFi iPad itself is not able receive GPS signals.

12. poloponies Suspended

You observed your position on the display moving steadily from your point of departure to your destination? Because that would more than stretch the imagination.

13. DeeGee48 macrumors regular

DeeGee48

3G/4G iPads and GPS

To make it really simple: ALL cellular iPads (3G/4G) HAVE the A-GPS (assisted GPS) chip in them ALSO (in addition to their particular cellular chip AND Wi-Fi).

It is the Wi-Fi ONLY models that DO NOT HAVE GPS chips in them.

Pretty hard to have continuous Wi-Fi while traveling down the freeway in a CAR after all! :)

14. kulimer macrumors 6502

I don't know what you mean by GPS? If you mean turn-by-turn navigation. The answer is no. iOS 6 does, it's built-in by Apple.

If you mean aGPS (Assist GPS): a dot on the map tells where you are, then yes!