Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
USA
Hey guys!

I apologize for the extremely stupid question...

For my 1st Gen. iPhone, it came with the dock it sits on while being charged.

I just bought a black, 8GB iPhone 3G today (gorgeous!) and I opened the box, to find no little dock. I would assume it would come with one- because that's what all the 3G's sit on in the Apple Store. Plus on Apple Store online, it says in the box, it comes with a "Dock Connector to USB Cable."

Should I just go back to the Apple Store when I get a chance and ask for a little dock?

Thank you!

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
USA
Oh, ok guys! Sorry, I didn't know that.

Thank you for making me understand! I appreciate it. :)

macintosh.apple

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
if you got your iphone within the past month it should have come with a dock, thats why the size of the box changed. If your box has a green dot on the bottom it should have come with a dock.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
if you got your iphone within the past month it should have come with a dock, thats why the size of the box changed. If your box has a green dot on the bottom it should have come with a dock.
Here's what's in the box. The size of the box at my Apple store today is the same size of the box when I bought mine on launch day. Where have you seen that the size has changed/the optional dock is now included? :confused:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html
In the box

* iPhone 3G
* Stereo Headset with mic
* Dock Connector to USB Cable
* USB Power Adapter
* Documentation
* Cleaning/polishing cloth
* SIM eject tool

gjw4u

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Switzerland
Hi macintosh.apple
Where do you get the idea that the 3G ships with a dock?
See : http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html
In the box:
iPhone 3G
Stereo Headset with mic
Dock Connector to USB Cable
USB Power Adapter
Documentation
Cleaning/polishing cloth
SIM eject tool

The 'iPhone 3G Dock' is sold as an accessory.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
First gen came with a dock, and like all other Apple products they slowly remove things from the box with newer generations until your left with the bare minimum.

It's pretty lame if you ask me.

iSkier

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
Is it worth it to purchase a dock for the 3G?

I was thinking that once I got my iPhone, I would get it just for easy charging/ syncing.

Worth it?

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Your probably better off just purchasing a universal dock instead, as they come with the iPhone 3g fitting. Also as lung as u buy the fittings, it will fit any future iPhone/iPods

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Your probably better off just purchasing a universal dock instead, as they come with the iPhone 3g fitting. Also as lung as u buy the fittings, it will fit any future iPhone/iPods

True, but the iPhone 3G dock is smaller and cheaper.

spazattack674

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
Boston

I was thinking that once I got my iPhone, I would get it just for easy charging/ syncing.

Worth it?

I think it is. I bought the dock when I bought my iPhone and it really does simplify things. Also, it looks a lot nicer on a desk and helps prevent the possibility of it falling off a desk or something of the like.

megatron2.0

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2008
Quick question for ya, I am getting a 3g iPhone within a month or so and if i get the 3G dock, will it scratch the back plastic? naked iPhone, just sliding in and out of the dock? Thanks

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Quick question for ya, I am getting a 3g iPhone within a month or so and if i get the 3G dock, will it scratch the back plastic? naked iPhone, just sliding in and out of the dock? Thanks

My friend doesn't have scratches on his, so you should be fine.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe

The Docking Station has a balanced (no volume control via iPhone hardware switch) Line-Out connector (3.5 mm mini jack) that delivers a perfect analog stereo signal. So if you are doing some serious music stuff like playing to a mixer unit, power amplification or recording facility you'll need that. All professional music production software for iPhone like BeatMaker (drum computer and sequencer) or Noise.io Pro (synth) supports that Line-Out.

The iPhone's headset connector (similar 3.5 mm mini jack with Mic-In) is only good for "small" devices like headphones, headsets, car radio, compact stereo...

the 3G dock, will it scratch the back plastic?

I have it for almost three months and often in the docking station. It fits perfectly, looks like one piece, no scratches at all. Have a look at some photos of the white iPhone 3G in the dock in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6747648

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
True, but the iPhone 3G dock is smaller and cheaper.
It is smaller and cheaper, but you run the risk that if Apple changes the dimensions of the next model iPhone, you'll have to buy yet another dock. Whereas if you invest the few extra $$ in the universal dock, you shouldn't have to ever buy another dock.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Back in the day with an iPod you'd get a remote, case, and dock. Now you get pretty much no packins. Some Apple stickers if you're lucky!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.