Does The iPhone 3G Have Ram?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thisisarcadia, Aug 11, 2008.

1. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

I was wondering if the iPhone 3G had Ram because whenever i have a bunch of apps open my iPhone freezes or lags real bad! For instance if I am listening to music, surfing the web, and texting at the same time it will lag sometimes. I hope V. 2.1 come fast.

2. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

it uses the Flash memory as ram

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

The iPhone has 128 MB of Ram. If it didn't have ran, the system wouldn't work.

4. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

5. 11800506 macrumors 65816

128 MB is actually quite a lot for a cell phone.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

No need for much more RAM. This is a phone, not a computer. Heck, computers only had 128MB until a few years ago.

TEG

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Not only that, Windows Mobile uses 128 for many devices and it runs fine. Keep in mind too that winmob is true multitasking with apps constantly running in the background. I don't know the specific sizes of iphone vs winmob but I am guessing that winmob is slightly more intensive due to the increased amount of "stuff" it has going on. And if it runs fine on 128 then the iPhone probably does too.

Frankly, 128 is the standard for smartphones these days.

8. droeun macrumors member

Probably why the iPhone seems so much faster than Windows mobile, since they only allow one app to run at a time. God I'm glad I got the iPhone - even though WinMo lets u multitask it's not very efficient in anything. Even though Winmo lets you run multiple programs simultaneously the iPhone is much faster.

9. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

I think that is just reserved space in the flash storage space

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It would be nice if it could be, but the NAND memory used for the flash memory cannot be accessed at the speed of the RAM nor is the NAND memory designed to be written to as often as the RAM.

TEG

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

No.

In fact, the CPU cannot directly run programs (as you can in RAM) from the type of Flash memory that the iPhone uses. This Flash can only be accessed in blocks, serially.

As for 128MB of RAM, as others said, that's a decent amount. Double what many other phones had until recently. (Some WM phones are headed to and past 192MB now.)

And a sidenote to people who talk about background apps using up CPU: most don't, because when nothing is happening to them (e.g. no user input), they're just dormant.

12. firewood macrumors 604

Cost, size, battery life, heat.

There's a sweet spot in matching the usable RAM size with the performance of the CPU for optimal price/performance/power efficiency.

And the first Macs came with only 128KB, so 128MB is 1000X more, so it's not really little.

13. squeeb macrumors newbie

Even though the API restricts the running of code in the "background" (once the user has pressed the home key), someone's come up with a great little bit of Injection software called iPhone Backgrounder:
    http://lifehacker.com/5058555/iphone+backgrounder-lets-you-run-multiple-iphone-apps
    Which lets you press and hold the home key until a message tells you that the backgrounding has been enabled, and then "closes" the app, as far as the app is concerned, it's still in the foreground and running.

Great for apps like "Tuner" and BeejiveIM etc..
    and not too bad on the RAM.
    I've clocked mine using "Hood" at 10MB Free with both Tuner and IM+ running.

14. ghayenga macrumors regular

They *should* be that way. But third party apps might not be. And even if they are dormant they will still use up valuable RAM memory.