Does the iPhone 4 battery come charged?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ringemaster, Jun 23, 2010.

1. ringemaster macrumors member

I assume not, but thought I'd ask. I've always been of the 'do a full charge before use' mantra, but I may have a hard time waiting this time around :cool:

2. dalee18 macrumors newbie

My 3g came fully charged.

3. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Same here.

5. ringemaster thread starter macrumors member

Wow....that's encouraging! Thanks for the replies.

6. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

It's safe to assume you will have at least 50% battery. If you think you'll need more than that, you already have the charger in the box. Hit a coffee shop for a while, or keep a charger in your car.

7. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Mine came about 80% charged. Same with iPad. Forgot how my 3GS came

8. txjeep macrumors member

I think the charge it overnight mentality is mainly for NiCad batteries, because they develop memory. I don't think newer batteries have this problem. I think it is safe to use your phone, but I would read the documentation just to make sure.

9. StPatty33 macrumors 6502

StPatty33

I've got to call AT&T when I get mine / before I use it so they can switch numbers w/the sim (upgraded on a different line than I'll be using it on), so I'm just going to charge it w/the wall adapter while I'm on the phone with them. That'll probably be long enough to charge it fully :D

10. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Yes, just to confirm, the whole "let it fully discharge, and then charge it completely" thing applied to older technologies that had the "memory effect".

Lithium-Ion batteries like the iPhone battery do not have the memory effect, so this is unnecessary. It certainly won't hurt anything to do it, but it is basically superstition and voodoo.

By the way, I write about different battery technologies as part of my job, so I do a lot of research about this.