Does the iPhone 5 battery normally die so fast?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LOLZpersonok, May 22, 2013.

1. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

This morning I left for school with a battery of about 80%. I didn't use it heavily throughout the day (with the somewhat frequent texts, one phone call and listening to music for a total of 2 hours throughout the day) and now that I come home 6 hours later, the battery is 13%. Yesterday I left home with about a 50% battery and came home with about 5%.

When I'm at home I turn off my cellular and turn on my WiFi and when I go out, I turn off my WiFi and turn on my cellular. The battery doesn't die nearly as fast on WiFi as it does on cellular.

Is this normal? I got the phone 5 days ago brand new when I renewed my contract. My old LG Xenon never died as quickly but that's probably because I kept it off most of the time.

2. BoostDeuce macrumors member

Have you looked in Settings - General - Usage and scrolled to the bottom to see what real usage you are getting out of it?

Sometimes it may not seem like you use it much, but i charge mine every night and by the end of the day, i've got 5 hours of usage, 15 hours of standby, and 50 percent battery. Obviously everyone is different. I do a lot of internet browsing, especially on Alien Blue (reddit) client

3. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

LTE is a huge battery drain, especially if you are around spotty coverage areas.

4. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

If I only use my phone for texts and calls my battery lasts me whole day and still have around 65 percent left but right when I start using data ( tmobile 4g) my battery drains fast

5. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I'd suggest turning off LTE if you won't be doing much Internet browsing. LTE is a battery killer, especially if you're in a weak signal area and your phone has to keep searching for a signal.

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I'm in an area where I usually have 2-3 bars of HSPA+, and extremely spotty LTE (1 bar, if lucky). My usage is pretty heavy, with a lot of web browsing and texting. If I'm lucky, I can hit 15 hours of usage (with music) or 10-12 hours of usage (pure web browsing) with around 5-10 hours of standby.

I have taken steps to streamline my iPhone's battery, such as disabling most automatic downloads, notifications (Messages, Phone, and Gmail are the only ones enabled), location services (only on demand, none in background), etc.

7. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

Mine is. I get four hours of continuous usage but I am told signal strength is playing a part. I get between 2 and 4 depending where I am in the house.

8. cynics macrumors G3

Depends on what you are doing with your phone. And certain things will surprise you.

Tapatalk kills my battery. If I use it a lot my 4S will die in 4 hours or so. However streaming Netflix I can get over 9-10 hours. I'd think the opposite but it just depends on what you are doing. I use a Bluetooth headset and that saves a lot of battery too vs using the phone to talk.

Signal strength plays a HUGE roll too.

9. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

It's really hard to tell, but that does seem like unusually fast battery drain for what you're doing.

10. clarencek macrumors member

Also check your screen brightness. I keep mine very low and can usually go the day ending up with 10% with moderate usage.

11. leonhkbx macrumors newbie

I'd suggest turning off LTE if you won't be doing much Internet browsing.[​IMG]

12. hafr macrumors 68030

12 hours LTE surfing on one bar reception? No. No, you're not getting twelve hours on screen action with data transfer using one bar LTE connection. Even if you had a battery pack of a normal size it would be hard to believe.

13. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

When I was in school my first class every morning was in a building with low reception and/or a signal jammer to discourage cell phone usage and I'd generally have only about 1 or 2 bars coverage. My battery drained ridiculous fast due to the dual antennas in the 4S switching to try and get better signal.

I'd say it's most likely the spotty coverage is why you're experiencing really fast battery loss

14. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I should have been more clear. The first 5 hours are spent in a poor reception area, and I exit with about 3 hours of usage at about 80-90% battery. Then I'm on WiFi, and the iPhone lasts for freaking forever.

15. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

I didn't notice a difference in battery life when upgrading from a 4S to the 5. I am guessing it is due to use of LTE draining the battery.

16. hafr macrumors 68030

No, you're not getting 15-30 hours of LTE surf out of one charge on your iPhone 5 in a poor reception area.

17. jayrflow macrumors 6502

My battery life is pretty bad. I don't wanna restore and lose my jaibreak. I may have to remove each tweak and only keep the ones I really want. So far I'm at 58% with 4hrs and 44minutes standby and 4hrs and 17minutes usage. Most of that time was screen off with music playing from my phone and about an hour of spotify. Also I've had the screen on for about 30-45 minutes. I got LTE on and I typically get 2-4 bars here where I work depending where I'm at. Sometimes it drops to 3G. Each minute or so I have my screen on, the battery goes down 1%. Also when I'm streaming Mike and Mike in the morning streaming with the ESPN Radio app, my phone gets hot and the battery does quicker. Is that normal? Is it my phone or some tweak that is causing this? Thanks for any help

18. hafr macrumors 68030

Streaming means a constant data transfer, which drains battery a lot faster than just playing a local file. When you're doing this on poor reception, it will drain faster still.

19. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

You might need battery calibration. Do a full rundown of the battery twice a month and look at this:

http://ipod.about.com/od/iphone3g/tp/iphone-battery-life.htm

Hope it helps ;)

PS: My battery on average, lasts 2 days. I have almost everything turned off since I don't use them often, which saves a lot of battery.

20. jayrflow macrumors 6502

Yea I know streaming will drain it but holy crap it does it quicker than I thought. My phone gets hot while streaming ESPN Radio and I know the battery drains quicker when the phone is hot. By the time I listen to ESPN Radio, I'm in an area of my job that I get 1-2 bars of LTE so I know that plays a huge part of it. I guess it's just something ill have to deal with for now

----------

Thanks ill try it out. Some of the things I do already like the Bluetooth but I'll try changing my mail settings. I have it to fetch once an hour but I'll change it to manually and see how that works

21. hafr macrumors 68030

If you're only listening to radio, switch to EDGE (turn off LTE and 3G). That might make a world of difference.

If I'm on wifi a full day, I get something like three more hours usage just by switching off 3G because I've got bad reception at home. The mere fact that it's trying to keep the signal is killing the battery... Switching to EDGE actually made me go from "this battery life sucks" to "hey, this is pretty good". I only activate 3G when I'm outside of a wifi-area and I need a fast connection (like checking maps or something).

22. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

No, I'm not. Props for reading carefully though.

23. hafr macrumors 68030

I thought you were commenting on what I actually wrote, which was that your claim that you're getting 12 hours of browsing on LTE is false.

I don't like to think people are making things up, so I'm guessing you're simply mistaken when it comes to your usage pattern.

24. bliggs macrumors regular

bliggs

Average usage on my iPhone 5 over the last two days. This is with both LTE and Wi-Fi always on. I do turn Bluetooth off.

Attached Files:

25. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I don't have an option to turn off 3G. Just LTE.