Does the iPhone 5 need a screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Z Overlord, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Z Overlord macrumors newbie

And if so what kind do people recommend? Can it protect from drops?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

No. I use mine without a case and it has yet to produce a scratch. Gorilla Glass 2 is amazing stuff.

3. Bad4karma2 macrumors newbie

I have a 4S, this is my third iPhone. I have never used a screen protector on any of my phones.
    If you treat and care for it you won't need it.
    I've seen people pull phones out of their pocket like cheap change. If that's how you handle an expensive device then don't cry when it gets damaged.

4. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I have an iPhone 5 and I use the Tech Armor Screen Protectors. Protects from scratches (Duh). I Learned that I should have one because it bothers me and hate having a very small(.5-1cm) rainbow looking scratch on my iPod touch 2G screen and now I have protectors for all my devices. When I get the rainbow looking scratch on my screen protector I replace it.

5. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

If you get a glass protector it will protect your screen from drops. It can be expensive around $30ish but it protects your screen and you don't have to replace it often at all.

6. Chairman.Jobbie, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

I highly recommend the sgp glas screen protectors. I had one on my iphone 5 and you get no rainbow scratches... And the screen looks like the naked iphone screen. It is made of glass. It can pick up very faint scratches (i don't know how as im careful) but way less then plastic, but you cannot see them at all whilst using the iphone - def no rainbow.

I got no bubbles and it stuck down fully on all edges (it uses adhesive but removable) and it doesn't ever peel up at the corners. They are expensive but i wouldn't buy anything else. The plastic ones are crap no matter what brand.

I had to replace my iphone 5 cos it got run over by a car (fell out of pocket in road)!! So ill be buying the new thinner version of the glas as soon as it comes out.. But the previous version with rounded edges was brilliant anyway - i might not wait...

http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/iphone/iphone-5s.html

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I like the practice of putting them on and only spending 7$ on a pack of 3 with unlimited replacements. Thanks for the info though.

8. gbuc95 macrumors member

I do not have one on mine and the phone does not have any scratches on it at all.

9. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

The need for a screen protector in my opinion comes down to the user.

I am an extremely careful user, so I probably don't need one, but I don't trust how careful I am after a few pints, so I slap a glass screen protector on there and don't worry about it.

10. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Can you live with minor scratches on the surface, perhaps even ones that you only see when you catch the light right?
    If not, then yes, you need a screen protector.

11. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

it varies from person to person, nobody can tell YOU if YOU need a screen protector.

I'm very careful with my phone, but i won't chance scratching it so i have a glass screen protector on. The way i see it is, it's alot cheaper to replace a scratched screen shield than it is a scratched screen.

12. Sheldonsmith macrumors regular

Sheldonsmith

Spigen or Zagg for me

I bounce between Spigen glass or Zagg... Both are good for different reasons.

Nonetheless, yes, an iPhone 5 needs one of the two.