Does the iPhone 6 bend or is it just the iPhone 6+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DrunkRhino, Sep 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrunkRhino macrumors newbie

Obviously, the bending problem associated with the new iphones is a widely known issue.

I pre-ordered an iPhone 6 instead of an iPhone 6+.

Fortunately, I think the issue is primarily associated with the iPhone 6+ due to its larger screen size.

Should I be fine with the iPhone 6 or is this something I should worry about?

2. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

I think that Apple is going to take care of it regardless. They don't want battery or antennagate again.

3. DrunkRhino thread starter macrumors newbie

So, in the event that it does bend by normal use, will Apple be willing to fix it for free?

Hopefully, this isn't a problem with the iPhone 6. But this issue has made the national news, so it really scares me.

----------

I will be receiving my phone in about a week. Are there any things I can do to prevent this from happening?

Are there any cases I should buy?

4. onlineaddy macrumors member

OP, why don't you try it with your 6 and let us know?

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I do not think Apple will continue to fix it for free! The did not autoamtically replace iPhone 5 for bending except in rarte cases where the Geek was nice.

The 6 will not bend as easy as the Plus because it is smaller.

Do not put it in your back pocket and sit on it. If you do pocket make sure your pants are loose enough where it does not bind against your leg when you squat or bend over. Do not bruish against an object at table height. My friend brushed against a table and bent his 5S.

6. Max Girth macrumors newbie

I don't know how Apple is "going to take care of this". They are not going to replace entire phones because they got bent.

And there is no way to fix it short of a redesign of the aluminum chassis.

Just take care of your phone. Don't put it in a situation where there's forces acting on it that could bend it. It's very thin, very light, and costs almost $1000.

Let me repeat that: it's very thin, very light, and costs almost $1000. Think about what you do with it before you do it and you'll be ok.

7. DrunkRhino thread starter macrumors newbie

So let me get this clear.

If I don't put the 6 in my back pocket (I usually use front pockets) and don't wear extremely tight pants, I shouldn't have anything to worry about right?

8. onlineaddy macrumors member

9. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

All iPhones can bend if enough pressure is applied. Someone proved that just this week in response to the overreaction to an issue affecting a very small number of users. The YouTube video is a joke because the phone was not only pre-bent, but the guy had to use a lot of force to bend it even with the frame already weakened.

10. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Since it's only iPhones in men's front pockets getting bendies, - guys try not to get overexcited with it in your pocket and turning off vibrate should help..
    It's woodygate..;)

11. dfran1 macrumors regular

This topic is the same as all the others and should have been asked in one of the 10 other threads. The entire meaning and point is the same.

I have seen at least another 8 new topics on this today alone.

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Theoretically yes because it's the same phone, just smaller. Though the reason it's extremely more likely with the 6 Plus is because of how much bigger it is. I wear really, really tight pants for a guy, as embarrassing as that is to say, and my 6 hasn't bent yet.

13. cathyy macrumors 6502a

They're not the same phones. The iPhone 6+ is far longer than the iPhone 6 which makes it easier to bend.

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

That is exactly what I said, they are made out of the same material and design. So with enough force or long enough pressure the 6 has the potential to bend just the same as the 6 Plus, but as both of us have said, it's a lot easier to replicate on the 6 Plus due to the larger, and longer size.

15. Milese3 macrumors 6502

Neither are likely to bend... It's probably 1 in 10,000 iPhone 6 Plus' that bend and even less 6's that bend!

16. itjw macrumors 65816

Out of millions of phones in the wild, there are a dozen (maybe) claims.

Of those claims, assume at LEAST half are total BS, and are the result of abuse...

So ya, not even a 1/10,000 chance. Seems like the definition of a NON-issue to me.

But then again, I'm not someone who believes everything he hears just because it's on this here inter-nets. I realize that puts me in the minority, but I'm sure glad I am.

:cool:

17. tribestros macrumors member

18. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Are you adverse to using a thin rigid case? See, the bending issue is a potential for any of the Apple devices. A very slim potential. My husband slightly but noticeably bent a retina mini iPad somehow. We have no idea how. He simply bent it back and it was fine. He uses a cover on the screen of the IPad but not a case. I've got full case protection for all of my I-devices and they sustain hard use in great shape.

I keep my phone in my front pocket. It's been squished, it's been dropped, it's been stuck in my front jeans pocket while I've done heavy landscaping work outdoors in all kinds of weather and it looks new because the simple leather and plastic core wallet case takes all the abuse, not the phone.

When I get my 6 Plus it's going into a similar wallet case for screen and body protection even though I don't think I'll be keeping it in my pocket like I did the 5s.

19. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Ah. My apologies for posting before reading the whole post.

20. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Doubt it. Anyone could come in and say i didn't make it bent.

21. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am not giving you a warranty. Just saying sitting on your phone can and WILL bend it in your back pocket. It can even be bent in the front pocket but is a good bit hard to do. You 6 will take alot more pressure before bending than the 6

22. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Yes.

23. Techie26 macrumors newbie

Some people said the 5 bent, I never had a problem even before I got the LifeProof case. Eh may have to get a holster case when I get my Plus. We'll see though.

24. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

So far, my 6 is fine after four days of use. In the front pocket of my jeans, sitting, squatting, and everything. Granted, I keep it in a thin hard plastic case, as I've done since the 3g. And when I drive, since I listen to music through the aux port, I don't keep it in my pocket.

25. fmcarv macrumors 6502

There is no bending problem with the iPhone's. Two people came on here posting for the first time claiming they bent their phones for all I know they could be fan droids or Samsung employees try to stir confusion just when Apple is breaking all sales records.

all other people posting on YouTube are using extreme force on known weak points to be able to bend their iPhones.

no force like that is made by normal usage.

next....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.