Does the iPhone 6 series case protect the screen when you lay the phone face-down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zorinlynx, Sep 18, 2014.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I think enough people have received their 6 that this question can be answered...

When you lay your iPhone 6 with leather case down on a table screen down, does the glass touch the table? If not, how much space would you estimate there is between the glass and the table?

Reason is, I like this feature of my InCase Slider; it has a nice lip that protects the screen if you drop the phone face-down. It'd be nice to have that protection with the nice Apple case.

2. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Wow, the recent drop tests make this question even more relevant now.

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

It's a good question, I'm going to guess maybe not just because the 6 screen tapers down at the edges. So to have enough of a lip to completely raise the screen off a surface, it would have to project up quite a bit and I would think it would be awkward and uncomfortable to use.

That said, I never put my phone face-down on a surface anyway, I would always put it face up. Additionally, there is a big difference between scratching and shattering so I don't think those drop tests have much bearing on this question.

4. munkydust macrumors member

Yeah, looking at my case now, my guess is that top edge of the case with be pretty much flush with the glass.

5. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Ouch, that's not too encouraging. I may pass on the Apple case when I got my 6 later this year.

The drop tests seem to show that if it lands screen side down at all, it's toast. And as careful as I am with my phone, I'd feel really stressed being only a tiny accident away from an expensive repair.

6. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Just pony up for AppleCare and don't sweat it. Life is too short and AppleCare is a pretty good deal vs the prospect of expensive repairs.