Does the iPhone do nokia glance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 0x100, Jun 8, 2015.

1. 0x100, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016

0x100 macrumors regular

0x100

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Stock iPhone, you get a notification when the phone is locked - the screen lights up to show the notification on the lockscreen. Shortly after that the screen turns off. Turn the screen back on to see your notifications. They will disappear from the lockscreen when you unlock the phone. The lockscreen has a clock. That's it.

If that isn't what you want then the iPhone doesn't have it.

3. 1madman1 macrumors regular

I recall my ancient Symbian based Nokia N8 and E7 had permanently lit-up AMOLED displays that switched to a clock screen saver when the phone was locked, notifications were shown just below the time display. If that's what you mean, then no the iPhone does not do that. I'm not sure which, if any, current phones currently have that ability. It took a while to get used a normal blacked out on lock LCD after switching to an iPhone, but it doesn't bother me anymore.

4. na1577 macrumors 6502a

A lot of Nokia Lumia Windows phones have this feature. Motorola also has a similar feature on its Moto X phones.

5. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Yep, the Moto X is the only current phone I can think of that does this. Just wave your hand over/near the screen and it will display time and notification icons. There are Android apps that do this too, just not as well...

6. 1madman1 macrumors regular

The Nokia N8 and E7 didn't need you to wave your hand over or interact in any way. The screen was just ON all the time so long as you didn't have the phone in power save mode. If you need to wave your hand over that's not much better than having to press a button.

I also recall that even if the old Nokias were in power save, it used a patterned blink on the charge LED when a notification was waiting to be read.

7. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I'm 99% sure my old Samsung Galaxy Note 3 did this.