Does the iPhone feel huge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 2Shae, Feb 1, 2008.

1. 2Shae macrumors 6502

I'm thinking about getting an iPhone, but every time I see a video from someone with an iPhone in his hands it looks so big.
    When I'm calling I don't want my phone to feel like brick. It's difficult to find a video/image of someone actually using it in real life, so maybe someone can show me that. Or tell me your iPhone size experience.

I live in The Netherlands and the iPhone isn't sold here so I can't go to an Apple Store.

2. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

it all depends on what you are coming from. I came from a Treo and I prefer the size of the iPhone. It fits so much better in my hand.

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

it is a little bigger than my previous cell...but i didn't buy it for the size...i got it for what it can do:p

4. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

It doesn't feel like a brick at all. Being very slim and well formed it is actually quite comfortable in your hand.

5. bollweevil macrumors 6502

The iPhone is 115 mm tall, 61 mm wide, and 11.6 mm thick. I recommend that you find a thick piece of cardboard, measure out a 115 by 61 millimeter rectangle, and then cut it out with a box cutter. This will give you a very good idea of the size.

My old phone was a Motorola Razr, and my iPhone hardly seems bigger. The iPhone is actually thinner than the Razr, while its footprint is considerably bigger, but not too big. It might be a problem if I wore really tight pants with small pockets. I think it will fit in most anyone's hand, though.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The iPhone is thicker than my previous phone, but it feels A LOT better in my hands because of how well it is designed. It doesn't feel like a brick at all.

7. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

The iPhone feels great in my hands. It's both longer and thicker than my previous phone but the functions blow my old one away. After using the iPhone I don't think I'll be able to ever go back to another phone.

8. wizard macrumors 68040

It is all a matter of perspective as I find the iPhone to be on the verge of being far to small. I'm 6' tall and wear size 15 shoes, thus find many a phone to be very fumblingly to work with. I prefer phones with controls that work well with my hands.
    I don't think Apple had a vision of people holding the iPhone to their head to make a call. Rather the expectation seems to be to follow the iPod usage pattern of a head set but in this case also supporting a mic.

That doesn't mean that you can't hold the the thing to your head as a hand set for making a call. It can do that too. It is just that you have many more options when you consider Bluetooth and the buds. It would be easy for somebody to use the iPhone and you not even know it by looking at them.
    Which is exactly what I would have recommended. The other option would be to go to a store and try on a Touch for size. Just realize that you may not end up using it like most other cell phones.

Dave

9. one1 macrumors 65816

Depends on if you've had a Touch or not :) I found the iPhone easy to hold onto and a good weight, but my Touch is so thin it is actually hard to get a good grip on.

10. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

personally I find that the iPhone is quite conveinently sized.

When I first got my hands on one I thought that it was a bit small.

I mean even a poptart is larger than this phone.

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

By itself, it does not feel all that huge, but when compared to other objects at the same time (like the iPod touch) it does feel somewhat big, but not an amount that makes it uncomfortable to use.

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I think it's perfectly sized.

Before it was launched and when we only saw pictures of it, and commercials, i thought it was big. Then while i was waiting in line on the day it came out, i saw it and was pretty surprised how small it is.

13. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

It's the same size as a Treo 700 without the antenna and 1/3 the thickness and (not sure this is accurate) half the weight.

14. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I have to carry a "candy-bar" phone for on-call for the office. It is about the same size as a 1st Gen Nano except being twice as thick. They iPhone is about 20% bigger (but is half as thick as the candy-bar).

However it is not "huge" it fits the hand comfortably and has a nice solid weight to it. Not too heavy. Just a "quality" feel you don't get with all the plastic wanabe designs.

Apple have hit what is probably the perfect form factor. Big enough to have a worthwhile screen, but not too big to be obtrusive. Future iPhones are going to be real interesting as you don't want them to cut down on the size of that gorgeous screen, but neither do you want them to make the thing bigger. The only thing left to play with is the thickness - and Apple would be far better using the space to pack more goodies (memory, GPS, 3G ect) and not try and shave another mm off.

Not to mention that the iPhone has become so iconic that Apple would be mad to mess with the look.

But it is not huge.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

1/3 larger than my old cell, but only 2/3 the thickness...

Go to the store and try it out - only you can decide in this case...

16. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

17. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I just ordered my iPhone yesterday. I can't wait to get rid of my Blackberry Pearl. It seems everyone I know has an iPhone, even my dad has one. The size is perfect, for what it can d IMO. I'm super excited.

18. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

It feels great in pocket. It's feels thin and solid.

19. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

It's massive.

Attached Files:

20. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

The size doesn't bother me, even though I came from a much smaller phone (SonyEricsson w880i). However it's quite heavy. It weighs about 50% more than any "average" phone I've had before.
    Even so, I'll never go back. I love it, and I don't know how I lived without it..

21. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

It feels awesome! Get one and go naked with it. No case. You will love it.

22. triplefinger macrumors member

Bigger

I actually think it's too small, thin anyway.

I put an otterbox defender case on it, now it's perfect.

23. vinylkiller macrumors member

yeah agreed,i came form a w850i and when i pick it up even now it seems really small but the thing is with the iphone it's only bigger because of the screen size and if it was smaller it wouldn't be as great surfing on the net,browsing your pics or watching movies so i think this is a better feature and i can't live w/o mine either

24. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

25. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    It's a nice size but...

A rectangular shape isn't the best for hands, especially when it's so slippery. It'd be nice if Apple put a thin rubbery paint on at least the back.

(Yeah, yeah there are covers and cases. I use a leather Belkin that encloses it, to keep it safe from scratches and falls. Never had to do that with other devices.)