Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
So, I've been using an iPod Touch lately, and boy does it quickly get finger smears on it, particularly if you are using the same motions over and over. If I get an iPhone, is it the exact same screen? Or is it somehow more smear-resistant?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i have a better idea, stop eating fried foods while using your phone, mabythen the smudges won't end up there :)

smudges are gonna end up there regardless of what you eat. to the op, if smudging bothers you that much, there are screen films you can get that does a good job of hiding them.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I'm at the stage where I can tell what foods I've been eating, by the smudges, and swipe marks on my iPhone. (Eg. Doritos, Garlic Fries (what is that green stuff in there, parsley?), In-N-Out Burger, KFC, Taco Bell, Sonic Burger, and any fruits.) I guess it's a good thing having InvisibleShield, and now, being on a diet! LOL :eek::p

hellodon

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
I'm at the stage where I can tell what foods I've been eating, by the smudges, and swipe marks on my iPhone. (Eg. Doritos, Garlic Fries (what is that green stuff in there, parsley?), In-N-Out Burger, KFC, Taco Bell, Sonic Burger, and any fruits.) I guess it's a good thing having InvisibleShield, and now, being on a diet! LOL :eek::p

What a stupid thing to say.
So you are unable to tell which foods you've been eating otherwise?
Wash your hands more often...

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
I wasn't really thinking of myself, though I do get annoyed (and no, just wiping the screen doesn't remove all of a deep smudge in good lighting, regardless of how clean your fingers are, to fully clean it requires some sort of liquid, like amonia-free glass cleaner). I was thinking more about gaming - are iPhone owners really going to be happy having their screens totally smudged by playing games that require touching and rubbing the screen in the exact same part of the screen over and over again? Normal use you aren't touching the exact same part of the screen over and over, so only requires the occasional wipdown, but for games you do. As a game developer, this is a concern for me.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
This thread keeps getting better and better.
I still can't believe this is a real question.

I've never noticed a smudge on my iPhone in all the time I've owned and used it. Maybe you should:
-stop looking at your screen on an angle
-turn up your screen brightness
-clean your hands
-stop looking at your screen when it is off. It doesn't matter if you can see smudges when it's off

BTW, I liked your original suggestion SFStateStudent. Top notch sarcasm, well done. :D

MyJelleo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

The antiglare screen protector considerably cuts down on smudging. I haven't had any problems since using it.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
Eg. Doritos, Garlic Fries (what is that green stuff in there, parsley?), In-N-Out Burger, KFC, Taco Bell, Sonic Burger
you'd have never guessed you were american (stereotypical i know) :p

BOSS10L

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Upstate NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

The antiglare screen protector considerably cuts down on smudging. I haven't had any problems since using it.

Agreed. Cheap and very effective investment.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
What a silly question, of course it doesn't!

The iPhone is the God Machine™, and the Lord would never allow it to smudge. The iPod touch, being an inferior to the iPhone, will be allowed a greater degree of smudging.

friekunater

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
What a silly question, of course it doesn't!

The iPhone is the God Machine™, and the Lord would never allow it to smudge. The iPod touch, being an inferior to the iPhone, will be allowed a greater degree of smudging.

this might be funnier if I wasn't on mine crying wishing I had an iPhone lol

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Well excuse me for not knowing :p I always heard the iPhone had a glass screen, but the iPod Touch screen seems plastic to me. Different material = different smudge factor :)

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Well excuse me for not knowing :p I always heard the iPhone had a glass screen, but the iPod Touch screen seems plastic to me. Different material = different smudge factor :)

In all seriousness though, they're both glass. I had an 8 gig iPt for a while before upgrading to a 4 gig iPhone ( :p ), and they both have about the same smudge factor; they smudge a bit while you use 'em unless you obsessively wash your hands or something, and they both clean themselves off well enough with a minute or two of walking with them in your pocket. It's really nothing to worry about :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.