Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DOES THE IPHONE SUCK?

• Total voters

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i'm glad we have these poll's - sort of make up my mind for me

I think the world likes the iPhone - save your time doing another poll

o and you forgot the word OFFICIAL :D

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
No, it's a great bit of kit. Comparable with the best phones out there in terms of features, and with Apple's attention to interface design.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
what makes you think it sucks? Intuitive and fresh user interface, thin, feature-packed, etc.

If I could change it, i would make it available in colours (white, silver, green and blue), put a small cam on the front for video conferences, drop the price a bit, and make it available internationally.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Does NOT suck yet the price is a bit high. Maybe if it were $400 for the 4GB and $500 for the 8GB.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
what makes you think it sucks? Intuitive and fresh user interface, thin, feature-packed, etc.

If I could change it, i would make it available in colours (white, silver, green and blue), put a small cam on the front for video conferences, drop the price a bit, and make it available internationally.

I second that, video camera on the front and bung in 3G capabilities for us when we get it in 2008.

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
NO.

It's more than I was expecting.

Sure... but isnt it too much for the avg user to handle?

i'm glad we have these poll's - sort of make up my mind for me

I think the world likes the iPhone - save your time doing another poll

o and you forgot the word OFFICIAL :D

Cheers

No, it's a great bit of kit. Comparable with the best phones out there in terms of features, and with Apple's attention to interface design.

Comparable to those 4 ****** smart phones :rolleyes:

I was expecting video conferencing, 3g and all that basic stuff with a 1000% slicker interface and of course the widescreen ipod which is great. The UI for WS ipod isnt that great....

i thought he had a tuff time typing a txt... i txt faster with buttons than him trying to type something simple:D

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
from what I can see, it's awesome...

I think people need to get over the whole 'oh no, cingular' thing... it's driving everyone mad... GET OVER IT.

sheesh.

my visa is waiting, much like chundles no doubt :)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I think one of the factors is that in different countries have differnt ways the contracts work.

In the UK with a decent monthly contract (over £35 per month) even expensive phones only cost, up to, £50.
So the iPhone looks very attractive.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
from what I can see, it's awesome...

I think people need to get over the whole 'oh no, cingular' thing... it's driving everyone mad... GET OVER IT.

sheesh.

my visa is waiting, much like chundles no doubt :)

Not really, it's a fantastic bit of kit but I'm not a "phone guy." I hate talking on phones, find it hard to concentrate unless people are looking at me and I can gauge their emotions etc. If I were to buy an Apple phone it would be a nano form-factor with no camera, no email, no internet, just a simple phone with buttons and a screen and room for some music. And no, not a moto iTunes phone - it has to at least work well.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
I'm not a "phone guy."

Neither am I, that's why I want an iPhone. Text messaging and getting emails, etc. off an ordinary mobile phone drives me up the wall. So much so that I never use anything but the voice facility. But if I could make myself email contactable wherever I am and surf the web and even word process I would be less tied to my desk.

This is an important step for people that are self-employed and work from home etc. and no doubt for companies as well. A phone like this puts you ahead of the game. In addition this is a technology that opens up a whole new range of possibilities.

I want to know a couple things though:

1) What does it mean that it runs OS X. Does this mean that eventually any program (depending on hard drive space) will run on this machine? Surely, when you get beyond Calendar and Notes they will have to be 'lite' programs because this thing can't possibly have the CPU processing power to run anything. Will iWork find its way onto this machine?

2) What are the contract options going to be in two years time. How much is this piece of kit really going to keep on costing me in comparison to my pay as you go Virgin Mobile that costs a couple of pounds a month?

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
I'm just angry that Apple didn't make it unlocked. In Europe, Asia and South Africa, we can just buy a phone and put a simcard in it from whatever network provider we choose, which is, IMO, the way it should be. Do you guys actually like being locked in to a network provider? Now I have to wait until 2008 or 2009 to get the iPhone:(

Anyway, I LOVE the iPhone, much more than I expected. I thought there was nothing left to add to mobile phones, Im happy I was wrong:)

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
It may suck. But so does your spelling.

Anyway, the iPhone looks like a great piece of kit. It's just that I will never be able to afford it.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
It's closed!

Closed. No way to add new programs or games -- how smart is that? Other phones (like the Treo) have zillions of applications.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
I'm not a big phone person, so I won't be buying this particular version, but I think that it's a great product. I wasn't as impressed with the iTV though.

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
NOOOOOooooo

Remember that it's a 3-part product. If you're saying the carrier sucks, then it's still 66.666666% good. That's passing. As an iPod it looks great. As a mobile web/computer/tablet thingy, it looks very impressive, but it's tough to make judgements on that without any outside reviews yet. Give it time. Look at how stinky the 1G iPod is, compared to today, 5-6 years later. It's come a long way, and still fairly consistent with its original design. Yes, HD size will improve. Keeping it thin has its price.

Besides, with its battery life, you cant even listen to all 8gigs of music before having to dock and recharge. Might as well put different music and movies on at the same time. No biggie.

It's still very remarkable, and I was amazed at the 200+ patents for the product. And Steve mentioned in the keynote he will keep them secret.... was that a threat? Anyone else catch that?

LaFouinard

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2005
Dundee
Wow!

I'm still ranting at people about how wonderful it is. I'd have to agree that it really should be 3g along with video phone calling but for me these are minor complaints given how gorgeous it is.

Don't know about 5 years ahead but ahead of every other phone in existence it most certainly is, hell it blows them out of the water. Costs it though but then Apple stuff is never cheap I suppose

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It is quite good. I won't say great or give it a 10 but the user interface alone puts it up past the rest of the phones out there.

I think it's sad that it doesn't have 3G data access but being locked into a certain provider is very much Apple. Changing their name didn't mean changing their habits. They want to assure a certain quality of service and they negotiated with one provider. It's just like Earthlink providing support for .Mac. You don't get a choice.

The phone obviously could use some games and other applications and hopefully by June 2007, they'll show that some of that is available. If they have a deal to put Skype on the phone so that you can use it like current Skype-enabled WiFi phones, all the better.

It's not the end-all-be-all phone but it's the start of one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.