Does the iPhone sync "To Do List?"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kman79, Aug 25, 2008.

1. kman79 macrumors regular

I'm trying to figure out if the iPhone can sync with Mail App's To Do List. I have yet to see this happen and was wondering if I was searching for something that isn't there?

If it isn't a function that's available, I'm really wondering why Apple did not add this functionality to the iPhone.

2. KingCathcart macrumors newbie

The iPhone cannot sync To Do list's directly onto the iPhone.

One solution is to sign up with Toodledo (it's free for a basic account) which will sync with iCal, Google calender and Outlook. You can then buy the Todo app by Appigo on the app store (search for Todo on the app store, its not too expensive) which will sync with Toodledo.

If you don't want to buy the app then Toodledo have an iPhone specific version of their website which you can webclip to your home screen, although you'll need a network connection to use it.

There is also a thread here on the Apple forums that might be useful.

3. kman79 thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate your response.

Thank u for pointing me in the right direction. My main reason for wanting a to do list is for the alarm function for the specific time the to do item is to be done. My guess is since apple has decided not to allow background apps for the time being, the program that u speak of wouldn't be able to notify me in a way of an audible alert, correct? I will have a look at the program u mentioned a little later today, thanks again.

4. KingCathcart macrumors newbie

You're right about the background tasks, and Appigo do mention it on their website.

I don't know if syncing Toodledo with iCal (which can potentially make your to dos open to public browsing as it uses a weblink) will then sync an event reminder to the iPhone.

You can setup toodledo to send you an email/sms reminder near to when the task is due, however the reminder minimum is a rather loose 1-2 hours before.

5. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

The iphone doesnt link to to-do lists. It would be nice if it did though. They have to-do lists on the app store...some are free

6. slapppy macrumors 65816

Amazing blunder by Apple isn't it? The other blunder is notes in mail. You can read it on the iPhone, but you can't write new ones. Try it you'll get a big laugh on what happens instead.

7. DCREEK macrumors newbie

Syncing iPhone and Mac

MobileMe has a great feature of syncing iCal with your iPhone calender. You can input things to do and set reminders to both notify you on your computer and on your iPhone. This works great for a to-do list with deadlines and homework assignments. What is great is when you get a message alert on your Mac, you can actually set it to remind you again in an hour, a day, 5 minutes, etc. Love syncing my contacts too!!:):)

8. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

you write notes in the notes app on the iPhone, not the mail app. am i missing something? the new notes are then added to mail on your computer when you next sync

9. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Yeah I don't get it. What are we laughing at :confused:

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think slapppy is confused.

11. jegbook macrumors regular

I assume he means that you write Notes in Mail (on OS X) and view them (not create them) on the iPhone in the Notes app. I think pre-iPhone OS 3, you could not create notes on the iPhone, only sync with Notes that were in Mail on OS X and view them on the iPhone.

That is now changed. Notes can be created in both places and sync to the other.
    MobileMe will sync Notes, too, but save them to your MobileMe account Notes in Mail, not with Notes "On My Mac" in Mail.
    It's all a lot more confusing than it should be. Hopefully it will get easier with future iPhone OS updates.