Resolved Does the iPod touch 3G suck?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by coolguy879, Aug 29, 2012.

1. coolguy879, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

coolguy879 macrumors member

2. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

No, and since it has the same amount of ram as the 4th gen iPod touch, and yet does not have the Retina display to soak up that ram, it is actually one of the fastest iPods out there.

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

No complaints here. I use my 3rd gen 64G every day and it still runs fine.

4. cvaldes macrumors 68040

Nah, it's still a very useful device.

I gifted my old third-gen iPod touch to my nephew; he's quite happy with it.

5. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

One thing to note is that the third-gen iPod touch only came out in 32 and 64-gb sizes; the 8 GB model sold at the time was just the second generation. Also, you most likely won't be able to run iOS 6 on it. If that's not an issue, go ahead.

6. Techwriter macrumors regular

I use my iPod Touch 3rd gen every day. It is the 64GB model and I've had it for over 2 years. It's still running strong, and as mentioned, without a retina display, it's also fast.

While I would recommend buying it, remember that you won't be able to update to iOS 6. The latest software you can install with be iOS 5. This 3rd generation doesn't have any cameras. And, you also can't use the Apple Digital AV Adapter to mirror whatever is on your iPod — apps, presentations, websites to an HDTV or HDMI-compatible display. However, I use Airplay with my Apple TV and it works great.

If these aren't deal breakers, go for it!

7. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

Tell me about it. I had little problems with my 3rd Gen iPod Touch but upgraded to a 4th Gen iPod Touch for the Retina display which sucks with the limited amount of RAM with iOS 5.

8. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Besides the battery life a little less.. I'm still using my 3G iPod Touch every day because it hold more than my iPhone and I can put all my Keynotes on it as well (save on lugging around an iPad).

9. coolguy879 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys!

I already own an iPod touch 3G (check my signature) and I just wanted some opinions because I disliked it but you guys have made me appreciate how good it is! Thanks guys! :D

10. mohamedalignaw macrumors newbie

No way!

I have a 2G and still use it every day. The 3G is better!

11. coolguy879 thread starter macrumors member

Obviously! Do you have the 2008 or 2009 iPod touch 2G? 2008 was the 2 and 64 gig versions while '09 was the 8 GB version.

12. dejesu macrumors newbie

13. kaielement macrumors 65816

I always wondered why Apple did this. Can only guess to keep the price lowere. Glad the 4 gen didn't do this.

14. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I use my 3g daily. Have it in an Otterbox Defender and take it everywhere with me. Use it at the gym to take my workouts in a Numers spreadsheet. It is awesome.

15. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Same here...

Still using my old iPod Touch 2G and I think it's great. The 3G would still be a great device.

16. AT101ET macrumors 6502

IMO, it's not that different from the 4th. Its similar but just lacking the cameras and slimness. I personally prefer the new one but the 3rd gen definitely doesn't suck. If I were you, I'd personally buy the 4th gen or wait to see if apple release a newer model. The 3rd gen is likely to stop being able to upgrade its IOS before the 4th and therefore it will have less apps available for it as it won't be compatible with the updates.

17. iLLUMI macrumors 6502

Still using my 3rd gen iPod Touch

Bought my 3rd gen iPod Touch back in November 2009. Have used it almost every day since. It has never given me any trouble. It has been accidentally dropped on the floor a number of times (in its case) and not suffered any damage nor performance issues.
    It is currently running iOS 5 and still performs as well as ever.
    Battery life is still really good too. No complaints there.
    Apps run smoothly, no crashes.

So to answer the question, no it doesn't suck.
    However, I have been waiting for the right time to update my device and now with the release of the 5th gen I will be upgrading, as there are what I personally deem to be enough reasons to upgrade. :)