Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I've been considering getting a Touch, and have almost decided I will. Then this morning, I saw in a topic that people were having problems connecting to WPA and WPA2 routers. I have a D-Link DIR-655 router, and have it set to WPA2, which is the fastest and most secure setting (BTW, I've read plenty of articles that say it's pure simplicity to hack into a WEP network in a mere three minutes). I refuse to breach my home wireless security to make an Apple product work. I also plan on using WiFi at my college campus, and am almost certain it uses WPA as well.

The ultimate question: will the Touch work on these two networks?

Or if not, are fixes being worked on?

deckoh

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
yes it does...

well it does on the 1st gen. i have used it on several networks using WPA / WPA2

Beric

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
well it does on the 1st gen. i have used it on several networks using WPA / WPA2

Yes, however, I have heard there are problems with connecting to WPA/WPA2 networks on the 2nd gen Touch only (not the first gen).

dbonds

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
I have a 2nd gen 32GB touch (2.1.1) and have no problems connecting to my Linksys WRT54G access point running Tomato firmware with WPA2(PSK) + AES (B+G, no N). I just clicked on my SSID and typed in my password. The only real trick for me was finding the MAC address of the WIFI on the touch. I just disabled filtering, connected, pulled it off my access point, entered it in the filter list, and re-enabled filtering. I am broadcasting SSID. Not sure if that'd make it more difficult. You might have to type that in manually or maybe enable it.

Daniel

PS - I've only read about 1/4 of that other thread, but from what I've read so far it seems like it's maybe DLink access point specific or possibly esoteric WIFI setting. There's definitely not a global WPA2 problem like some are saying over there.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I have a 2nd gen 32GB touch (2.1.1) and have no problems connecting to my Linksys WRT54G access point running Tomato firmware with WPA2(PSK) + AES (B+G, no N). I just clicked on my SSID and typed in my password. The only real trick for me was finding the MAC address of the WIFI on the touch. I just disabled filtering, connected, pulled it off my access point, entered it in the filter list, and re-enabled filtering. I am broadcasting SSID. Not sure if that'd make it more difficult. You might have to type that in manually or maybe enable it.

Daniel

PS - I've only read about 1/4 of that other thread, but from what I've read so far it seems like it's maybe DLink access point specific or possibly esoteric WIFI setting. There's definitely not a global WPA2 problem like some are saying over there.

OK, I guess I'm fine then. I can always return it or ask for help from Apple if it doesn't end up working.

ebow

macrumors 6502a
I'm having the same problem reported by many on that Apple Support thread. I cannot get my 2G iPod touch to connect to my DLink DIR-615 wireless router with WPA2 enabled. It connects instantly when I turn off wireless security, but I'm not doing that for more than a few moments. I *can* connect to it when I manually enter the details via the "Other..." option, when I am in the same room as the router. It does not reliably keep that connection, though, and it doesn't connect that way from other floors in my house (even when there are 2 out of 3 wifi "bars"). :(

seamustry

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
yeah it does. I have 2g with dlink (i'm using wpa though not wpa2...maybe there's a difference there)

Beric

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I'm having the same problem reported by many on that Apple Support thread. I cannot get my 2G iPod touch to connect to my DLink DIR-615 wireless router with WPA2 enabled. It connects instantly when I turn off wireless security, but I'm not doing that for more than a few moments. I *can* connect to it when I manually enter the details via the "Other..." option, when I am in the same room as the router. It does not reliably keep that connection, though, and it doesn't connect that way from other floors in my house (even when there are 2 out of 3 wifi "bars"). :(

Hmmm... I have a D-Link DIR-655. I wonder if I would have the same problem.

hhougaard

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008

Daniel

What do you need the MAC address for?
I cannot connect my 2 gen touch to my Trendnet TEW633-GR router either when router security is on. Without security I have no probs.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
my touch works great on my home (old Belkin G router) WPA network and at work (university - not WPA but requires web login). at home i have MAC filtering on and don't broadcast the SSID.
also, to easily find the iPod's MAC just look in the wireless settings in sys prefs - it is the last item.

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
I'm going to go ahead and throw in my vote for yes, and better than WEP by far.

I have connected mine to ten WPA access points, and it works great on all of them. The only reason you wouldn't be able to connect is user error (MAC filtering, no internet connection, wireless router being 802.11 'N' not 'B' or 'G').

I think I'm going to start a rumor that the volume buttons don't work on the 2G now, and after that I'm going to spread the word that it explodes after two years of use :eek:. See ya later!

zerohp

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
I have a 2nd gen 32gb and it does not work with my D-Link router running WPA2. I had to temporarily go back to WEP with MAC restrictions until Apple fixes this problem or I buy a new router.

Since every other wireless device running multiple operating systems (including my Macbook Pro) works fine with this router, it seems to be a problem with the ipod.

bluesky2000

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
I can't connect either

I can't connect my 2nd Gen iPod Touch to my WPA network. Only WEP works fine. I do have a D-Link router. All other devices connect WPA fine. It just iPod Touch that can't connect.

mrmmd

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2008
WIFI on my iPod Touch Gen 2

I have a Linksys WAP54G at home using WPA-PSK TKIP and it works fine. At the office I we have ZyXel G-1000V2 with the latest firmware and it will only connect if it is set to WEP or NO Security. Once I go to WPA or WPA2, it will not connect. I know it is not the MAC address filter as I leave it on and connect with WEP. It is once I go to WPA or WPA2. But since I can connect at home, I do not believe it is the iPod. I think it is the ZyXel Access Points. I have a support call in and they are looking into it.

MRMMD

esteve

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
update your router firmware

I have the DIR-655 which works fine with my daughters macbook and my sons first gen touch. My wife got a gen 2 touch and it would not connect. Updating the routers firmware fixed the problem.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
I am using WPA and the 2nd gen touch works fine. I get full bars all the time in my apartment. However, I can't get youtube to work... but this happened while I had it set to WEP as well, so it must be something else that's causing the problem.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
Hi, pls help. M home is currently using WPA-personal. my itouch cant connect to the wifi at all. Once i typed the password, they will say unable to connect. "dismiss" ): :mad:

do you have MAC address control on your router? if so you will have to enter the ipods MAC address into the router

also check that you are not running the router in N only mode and have G enabled too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.