Does the Keyboard Dock work with iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macostendoto, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Macostendoto macrumors member

Does the original iPad keyboard dock work with the iPad 2?

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

This will be interesting to hear if it does. I read the connector port is angled differently on iPad 2.

3. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

I wouldn't count on it, as the keyboard dock has been removed from the accessories list for the iPad 2, but someone with an iPad 2 and the keyboard dock may be able to show otherwise.

4. Wolfmore macrumors member

Wolfmore

it works

Ok I did it. I didn't doubt it would work. All buttons and controls work just like the original iPad as far as I can tell.

The main concern was how it would rest against the back due the thinness of the iPad 2. Once I slid it in I just gently let it fall back and it came to rest. I was checking for stress on the pin connection with my ear and touch but I didn't notice any. I've docked and undocked a few times now and its fine.

If you notice the opening of the pin connection on the iPad 2 has a design that is open with a curve. If it wasn't because of this curve design then I don't think it would have worked. There would have been stress I bet and danger of damaging something.

But in conclusion given the fact that I feel the need to carefully dock it I think a redesign specially made for the iPad 2 is justified and proper.

5. BruiserB macrumors 65816

It does work but seems to lay back a little far. I'm afraid of the stress it may put on the connector board in the iPad. Was thinking of maybe buying some rubber adhesive feet and sticking them on the back support of the dock. It would be nice if Apple would make an official adapter that could be attached somehow, much like the different trays for the iPhone/iPod docks.