Does the lack of ram affect iPod touch 4g

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ipodtouchnight, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Ipodtouchnight macrumors newbie

The iPod touch 4g has the same ram has the 3G ipod touch do u guys notice any lag when u have lots of apps open I'm getting one nov 15 trying to see if it's worth upgrading from 3G.

2. celticpride678

First of all, the iPhone 3G and iPod touch 4th generation do not have the same amount of RAM. The iPhone 3G has 128 MB and the iPod touch has 256 MB.

Apple designed the iPod touch 4th generation with iOS 4 meaning that it will run perfectly fine.

3. Ipodtouchnight thread starter macrumors newbie

I mint the 3G version of the iPod touch

4. brygruver macrumors member

You will not notice any lag in performance. The way that multi-tasking works in iOS 4 is that when you run out of ram, the oldest application is quit and it's memory is released. There is no virtual memory on any iOS device. Virtual memory (swap file) is what slows a "normal" computer down when it is running low on memory.

What you would notice is that the iPhone 4 is able to keep more applications open, before they are forced to quit.

5. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Great way of explaining that. Thanks. :)

6. celticpride678

The fourth-gen has a faster processor so you won't notice any lag.

7. Ipodtouchnight thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

If you're desperate to bump up the size of your RAM, you can enable virtual memory by enabling Apple's dynamic memory preference. I forgot how to do it via SSH, but there are some Cydia apps that will do it for you.

I wouldn't recommend it, especially on a 4th gen, as it uses your Flash memory as an extension to the device's RAM. Flash memory isn't designed to endure hundreds of reads/writes every minute, like the RAM is, so your device will eventually brick.