Does the late 15 rMBP (16/512/GPU) run hot as hell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by richard371, Dec 24, 2013.

1. richard371, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

richard371 macrumors 68000

Ive had it for about 6 hours now and the back gets so hot. Im running a Windows 8 VM in VMware fusion and its installing updates. My legs are burning. I also have the rMBP 8/256 and it never even gets warm.

I do like the bigger screen and extra mem/quad core but I've never felt a machine ever get this hot. The fan does come on so I don't think its defective. I show the GPU at 162F. For 2599 this is the hottest piece of junk I have ever bought. All that is running now is a VM installing win 8 updates. its going back thursday. Complete garbage from Apple.

2. Wishbrah macrumors regular

162F is not a dangerous temp for the GPU. However, apparently the 80 or so degrees that you are experiencing on your legs is making you uncomfortable. Either don't use it on your lap, or promptly visit your nearest supermarket to buy another man card; you seem to have misplaced yours. Good luck!

3. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

Help me out here: you're running a virtual machine with substantial processor activity and then complaining that your MBP is getting hot?

What exactly did you expect?

No QC processor (particularly one tucked into a machined aluminum enclosure) is going to do anything else but get hot under load.

Your MPB is functioning within design parameters; the only "complete garbage" here is your unrealistic expectation.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Relax, it's perfectly normal. I did this to my early-2011 MBP and a late-2013 rMBP with GPU. Fans spin up in VMware when starting the VM up and installing updates, nothing new there :)

VMware eats up a lot of CPU power, so it's only normal it gets hot and the fans spin up.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I've always thought that aluminum is particularly good heat dissipator (particularly compared to plastic), no?

6. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

That's exactly why it gets warm, especially under load...

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Silly me!

8. Doward macrumors 6502a

162F on the GPU, what is the CPU temperature?

I imagine that'll be under a heavier load than the GPU with VMWare ;)

9. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

That's the model I have and yes it is the hottest laptop I've ever owned, when doing intensive stuff like gaming. I don't really mind - if that's the way it is then so be it - but sometimes it gets so hot that a) it is uncomfortable to touch some of the keys and b) the power brick gets close to melting my carpet. Those two things are less preferable - and does make me wonder if everything is ok or if something is amiss.